Ruby Cookbook

slunky

Is there a resource or book similar to O'Reilly's "Cookbook" series of
books? I learn best with this type of book. Real world examples with
short and sweet despcriptions of what they are. Many thanks in advance.

Ross Bamford

Is there a resource or book similar to O'Reilly's "Cookbook" series of
books? I learn best with this type of book. Real world examples with
short and sweet despcriptions of what they are. Many thanks in advance.

It's due out this July, I think you can get a draft through the 'rough
cuts' program. See:

http://www.crummy.com/writing/RubyCookbook/

In the meantime, this has a similar style (but may be slightly outdated by
now):

http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/Cookbook/index.html

slunky

_/ amrangaye wrote \_
Try Rails Recipes, from the Pragmatic Programmers. I'm reading it, and
it's quite up to the quality of the O'reilly cookbooks. It also covers
Rails 1.1 features, so it's a bit more up-to-date than the Agile Ruby
on Rails book.

It's still a beta book, though, so it's not quite finished yet, but
most of the recipes are complete. I'd highly recommend it.

You can find it at http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone!

Booker C. Bense

Gene Tani

Booker said:

_ "The Ruby Way" seems to fit that description pretty well,
although it doesn't cover many of the newer modules.

http://rubyhacker.com/coralbook/

Amazon says 2nd edition Ruby Way will be out June 21 (can't wait!), and
the Oreilly Ruby Cookbook is out in pretty much final form (as I
understand it) as a PDF Rough Cut now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...ref=sr_1_2/103-3311503-6360648?_encoding=UTF8
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rubyckbk/