    Are there any books or other resources on design patterns or techniques
    specific to dynamic languages?

    Jack

    Jack Christensen, Feb 7, 2006

  2. James Edward Gray II, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Jack Christensen

    Gene Tani Guest

    Jack Christensen wrote:

    > Are there any books or other resources on design patterns or techniques
    > specific to dynamic languages?
    >
    > Jack

    i mostly search this mail list but:

    the facets and extensions libs, ruby tricks-R-us

    http://redhanded.hobix.com/
    and why's links below the picture of the pickax on the right, prolly
    take a fe wmonths to work thru ;-}

    c2 and artima.com
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?search=ruby

    and the draft ORA ruby cookbook looks very promising

    Gene Tani, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Jack Christensen

    James Britt Guest

    Gene Tani wrote:
    > Jack Christensen wrote:
    >

    >>Are there any books or other resources on design patterns or techniques
    >>specific to dynamic languages?
    >>
    >>Jack

    This may have already been mentioned, but:

    http://norvig.com/design-patterns/

    Smalltalk books should have interesting reading, too:

    http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

    --
    James Britt

    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally
    for machines to execute."
    - H. Abelson and G. Sussman
    (in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)

    James Britt, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Jack Christensen

    Dido Sevilla Guest

    On 2/7/06, Jack Christensen <> wrote:
    > Are there any books or other resources on design patterns or techniques
    > specific to dynamic languages?

    I have an old issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal (August 1997), that has an
    article entitled: "Dynamic Design Patterns in Objective-C: Dynamic run
    times affect how programs are designed and built". While the article
    focuses mainly on Objective-C and gives some examples from the
    NeXTStep Runtime (today in use as Mac OS X's Cocoa), the dynamic
    runtime of Objective-C is sufficiently similar to Ruby's that many of
    the same principles apply. Apparently, the full text of the article
    is available here:

    http://202.179.135.4/data/DDJ/articles/1997/9708/9708d/9708d.htm

    Dido Sevilla, Feb 7, 2006