    something for 'language-switchers' available?

    regards,
    Achim

    Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH), Oct 17, 2005

  2. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    Joe Van Dyk, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Joe Van Dyk wrote:

    > Honestly, the best documentation / tutorial out there is the Agile Web
    > Development book by Dave Thomas and DHH. You can get the PDF or
    > hard-copy from http://www.pragprog.com.

    I had already a look at the website, but the book does not seem to
    contain a introduction to Ruby. Because I'm new to Ruby, I think I
    should learn some basics first.

    regards,
    Achim

    Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH), Oct 17, 2005
  4. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    Joe Van Dyk, Oct 17, 2005
  5. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    Damphyr Guest

    Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH) wrote:
    > Joe Van Dyk wrote:
    >
    >> Honestly, the best documentation / tutorial out there is the Agile
    >> Web Development book by Dave Thomas and DHH. You can get the PDF or
    >> hard-copy from http://www.pragprog.com.

    > I had already a look at the website, but the book does not seem to
    > contain a introduction to Ruby. Because I'm new to Ruby, I think I
    > should learn some basics first.

    Well, nothing like the Pickaxe book. You can start with the first
    Edition (which is a pleasure to read), I recommend buying the second
    edition as it is invaluable as a reference, and you can also read the
    chapters online on www.ruby-doc.org.#
    Cheers,
    V.-

    --
    http://www.braveworld.net/riva

    Damphyr, Oct 17, 2005
  6. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH) wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a experienced Python developer (also other OO languages, like C++,
    > C#, Java). Until now I had no reason to look at ruby because I love
    > Python, but I'm very interested in Rails.
    >
    > Could somebody probose a good tutorial for me? I'm not interested in
    > 'how to program' and so one. My target is clearly Rails. Is there
    > something for 'language-switchers' available?
    >
    > regards,
    > Achim

    _why's (poignant) guide to ruby

    http://www.poignantguide.net/ruby/

    Also look around www.ruby-doc.org

    Timothy Hunter, Oct 17, 2005
  7. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    Gene Tani Guest

    http://blog.ianbicking.org/ruby-python-power.html
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/RubyEyeForThePythonGuy.html
    http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/Tech/Ruby/PythonAndRuby.rdoc
    http://www.approximity.com/ruby/Comparison_rb_st_m_java.html
    http://www.jvoegele.com/software/langcomp.html
    http://reflectivesurface.com/weblog/2004/12/19/why-rails

    also look in the back of Ruby Way book, there's perl to ruby and python
    to ruby transition chapters.

    Gene Tani, Oct 17, 2005
  8. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    Gene Tani Guest

  9. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    Peter Burns Guest

    I was in the same boat as you Achim, experienced Python guy who got
    into Ruby because of Rails. Now it's my favorite language. I learned
    on Agile Web Development and The Pickaxe, but there's definitely a lot
    of the Pickaxe that I skimmed past. The most important section for
    you is probably the one on blocks. Beyond that, you might want to run
    through the section on Regular Expressions pretty quickly, as the
    syntax may be a bit unfamiliar, specifically String.scan. Play around
    with rubygems and irb (equivalent to the python interactive shell).=20
    Oh, and a couple things that will be helpful to pick up rails quickly:

    Things that begin with a colon, e.g. :action, or :controller, are
    symbols, which are similar to Strings, save that they're more
    efficient for certain comparison operations. That and method calls
    like has_and belongs_to_many in class definitions are actually methods
    that tend to modify the class definition that they're in.

    On 10/17/05, Gene Tani <> wrote:
    > (I knew i had a lot of links somewhere)
    >
    > http://pleac.sourceforge.net/
    > http://martinfowler.com/bliki/CollectionClosureMethod.html
    > http://onestepback.org/articles/10things
    > http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/avi/blogView?showComments=3Dtrue=

    &entry=3D3284695382

    Peter Burns, Oct 17, 2005
  10. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    snacktime Guest

    ------=_Part_8941_31193085.1129568888105

    Programming Ruby from the pragmatic bookshelf is a great guide to most of
    what you will need to get going, and it has a good reference section. I cam=
    from a strong perl/python background and this book has been invaluable.

    Chris

    ------=_Part_8941_31193085.1129568888105--

    snacktime, Oct 17, 2005
  11. marco wrote:

    > http://www.djangoproject.com/
    >
    > I haven't used either Rails or Django, but I've read their intro
    > docs and they seem quite similar, at least on the surface.

    Yes, I know Django. It looks very promissing and as a python fan I would
    be happy if I could say: "Forget Rails, I'll use Django!". But from an
    objective point of view I would say, that Rails is at a point where
    Django might be in one or two years.

    regards,
    Achim

    Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH), Oct 17, 2005
  12. Peter Burns wrote:

    > I was in the same boat as you Achim, experienced Python guy who got
    > into Ruby because of Rails. Now it's my favorite language.

    Interesting to here, that there are developers which converted from
    python to ruby. The syntax looks a little bit scaring to me. In this
    point I wonder about myself, because I was a hardcore-C++-template-guy
    for many years before I stared using python more and more.

    > I learned
    > on Agile Web Development and The Pickaxe, but there's definitely a lot
    > of the Pickaxe that I skimmed past.

    They look quite good, but I hesitate to buy two expensive books, just to
    give Rails a try.

    > The most important section for
    > you is probably the one on blocks. Beyond that, you might want to run
    > through the section on Regular Expressions pretty quickly, as the
    > syntax may be a bit unfamiliar, specifically String.scan. Play around
    > with rubygems and irb (equivalent to the python interactive shell).
    > Oh, and a couple things that will be helpful to pick up rails quickly:
    >
    > Things that begin with a colon, e.g. :action, or :controller, are
    > symbols, which are similar to Strings, save that they're more
    > efficient for certain comparison operations. That and method calls
    > like has_and belongs_to_many in class definitions are actually methods
    > that tend to modify the class definition that they're in.

    That was just the kind of information I was looking. Thanks a lot. I'll
    have a look at the points you mentioned.

    regards,
    Achim

    Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH), Oct 17, 2005
  13. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    Gene Tani Guest

    The syntax becomes quite natural, what is difficult is keeping perl,
    python, tcl and ruby straight. Also, the language hasn't gone through
    substantial overhauls like python 2.2 and perl 5.6, just new libraries
    and incremental improvements (ok, a lot of them):

    http://whytheluckystiff.net/articles/rubyOneEightOh.html

    (read _why_'s "Upturned Bin" and the Metaclass article while you're
    over there.

    Gene Tani, Oct 17, 2005
  14. > Yes, I know Django. It looks very promissing and as a python
    > fan I would be happy if I could say: "Forget Rails, I'll use
    > Django!". But from an objective point of view I would say, that
    > Rails is at a point where Django might be in one or two years.

    Hmm, I'm not too sure about that. For example, Django gives you an
    automatic, production-ready admin interface for your model objects.
    Rails has nothing of the sort. The admin interface is one of the
    reasons Django has become extremely popular even though there's no
    "official" version yet.

    Rails and Django have different advantages and disadvantages; it's
    ludicrous to say that Rails is "one or two years" ahead of Django.

    Adrian

    Adrian Holovaty, Oct 17, 2005
  15. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    Jeff Wood Guest

    ------=_Part_19676_25936689.1129581457734

    ... uh, this is becoming a religious battle, and I don't know about
    everybody else, but I'd much rather you two folks take it somewhere private=

    Jeff Wood, Oct 17, 2005
  16. Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

    Peter Burns Guest

    > > I was in the same boat as you Achim, experienced Python guy who got
    > > into Ruby because of Rails. Now it's my favorite language.

    > Interesting to here, that there are developers which converted from
    > python to ruby. The syntax looks a little bit scaring to me. In this
    > point I wonder about myself, because I was a hardcore-C++-template-guy
    > for many years before I stared using python more and more.

    Yeah, I wouldn't have thought that I would prefer ruby for the average
    scripting project, but the language has some more kick to it; my
    programs are shorter, and I can do more cool metaprogramming. Of
    course, part of that is probably the fact that I learned Ruby after I
    had a few more years of experience, so I guess I shouldn't be
    surprised that my skills with it are more sophisticated.

    > They look quite good, but I hesitate to buy two expensive books, just to
    > give Rails a try.

    The first edition of the Pickaxe is free, and it's the only version
    that I've used. It's all over the net, but why's site is serving it
    particularly fast today: http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/

    If you do pick up the Agile Web Development Book, one thing that I
    wished they would have covered was Active Migrations, which let you
    define and modify your database tables in pure ruby. (domain specific
    languages rock)

    Peter Burns, Oct 18, 2005