Ruby Genetic Algorithm Library

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Peter Laurens, Nov 30, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I'm looking for a (relatively) mature genetic algorithm library for use
    with Ruby, so I have a choice:

    1. Use GALib (a C++ library) and connect it to Ruby somehow (bridge)
    2. Find a decent native Ruby GA Library

    So far Google has not been helpful for (2) so I am posting here seeking
    advice on whether I've missed anything. I'm aware of projects like DRP
    which look good for grammatical evolution, but I'm not sure whether they
    support being used for vanilla GAs. If anyone has any experience using
    GAs from Ruby, it would be great to hear of your experience.

    Alternatively, if there's nothing good that anyone can suggest native,
    I'd be very grateful to hear peoples' opinion on using a C++ library
    like GALib from within Ruby. I.e. - is it feasible without too much
    hassle, and any pointers to any material that may help me build that
    bridge would be great.

    I've exhausted Google as far as I can manage, so I'm turning to
    crowdsourcing here.

    Thanks for your time and help, it's much appreciated.

    - N

    Peter Laurens, Nov 30, 2007

  2. Peter Laurens wrote:
    > Hi,
    > So far Google has not been helpful for (2) so I am posting here seeking
    > advice on whether I've missed anything. I'm aware of projects like DRP
    > which look good for grammatical evolution, but I'm not sure whether they
    > support being used for vanilla GAs. If anyone has any experience using
    > GAs from Ruby, it would be great to hear of your experience.

    Some projects that might be of interest (I have no experience with any
    of them though :) )
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/uni_genetic/
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/gga4r/
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/g2a/
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/cat.rhtml?category_major=Library;category_minor=AI

    > Alternatively, if there's nothing good that anyone can suggest native,
    > I'd be very grateful to hear peoples' opinion on using a C++ library
    > like GALib from within Ruby. I.e. - is it feasible without too much
    > hassle, and any pointers to any material that may help me build that
    > bridge would be great.

    Building c extensions for ruby is quite doable. I understand that c++ is
    a bit more hassle, but not too much. Another option would be to use
    jruby and directly access one of the java genetic algorithm libraries (I
    am pretty sure there must be quite a few of those).

    Edwin Van leeuwen, Nov 30, 2007

  3. Edwin Van leeuwen pisze:

    > Building c extensions for ruby is quite doable. I understand that c++ is
    > a bit more hassle, but not too much. Another option would be to use
    > jruby and directly access one of the java genetic algorithm libraries (I
    > am pretty sure there must be quite a few of those).

    Lots of them and no extensions/wrappers/bindings required. There is also
    a Scala one : http://code.google.com/p/jiva-ng/

    might be worth a try to access it using JRuby.

    lopex

    Marcin Mielżyński, Nov 30, 2007