Ruby List Roast - A Tentative Attempt

Hope Less

Dear ruby list members

Ruby is great...no, it's awesome! And you people make it even better by
answering all those questions that Ruby users sometimes have. But you're
one funny bunch fore sure. After reading this list for a while, I've
come to the following conclusions:

- The Japanese lot
Dudes, you're awesome...you created the whole language and all...but
dang, you're English grammar sucks! How can you possibly be smart enough
to come up with a whole new language, but at the same time, be an epic
failure at the one that is most widely used?

- Robert D.
France and England always have been and always will be at loggerheads.
You seem to be trying to change that by actually trying to understand
the French. And use there language on this forum. Please! Some of us
here hate French. Unlike you, we were forced to learn it in school. An
experience that scarred me for life. And probably negatively impact my
intelligence as well.

- Pascal J. Bouillon (oui?)
You're last name sounds like a variant of fondue. You're persistence on
comparing everything to Lisp, on the other hand, is much firmer. (By the
way, did you somehow infect Robert D.?)

- James Edward Gray II, King of Ruby Land
The resident aristocrat. I do like your tutorial on M17N.

- 7stud
It's simple: first think, /then/ post. No, not the other way around,
which will result in a mess - both here and in real life. Take it from
me, I always make sure what I wrote makes sense before I post - which is
why I end up never posting in the first place.

- David B.
You're...uhm...really good, I guess. Gee, there's nothing much to say
about you. Can't even insult you based on a perceived lack of
intelligence. You must therefore be lacking personality.

- Eleanor McH.
You know, English is not my native language, so I was in the mistaken
belief that you were a dude like the rest of us...until I saw a picture
of you somewhere on the web...now, every time I read one of your posts,
I must make an effort to replace that mental image of the random nerd
with that of the cute chick physicist.

- Rick D.
Just like I pictured Eleanor to be a dude, I imagined you to be in your
20ies. Unlike Eleanor's case, this might be flattering, though. Because,
one day, I visit your profile on workingwithrails.com, and boom! goes my
bubble. You're old - probably could be my grandpa! So, what was it like
to be a programmer before WWII? Had electricity even been invented at
that time? Or did you have hamsters (or nerds) on wheels to power your
computers?

- Park Heesob
Jesus, you seem to know everything! I start reading a post, and I'm
like: you're so screwed, dude, there ain't no easy solution to that
problem for sure. But as soon as I read your name, I know there is a
solution. You really make ruby look like a walk in the park - yes, pun
/intended/.

So, yeah, that's it! You really are a weired lot. But it would be much,
much more boring without you. Sort of like a Microsoft forum.

Truly yours
A Hopeless Loser & Ruby Fan

Josh Cheek

dang, _you're_ English grammar sucks!

:p

Rick DeNatale

- Rick D.
Just like I pictured Eleanor to be a dude, I imagined you to be in your
20ies. Unlike Eleanor's case, this might be flattering, though. Because,
one day, I visit your profile on workingwithrails.com, and boom! goes my
bubble. You're old - probably could be my grandpa! So, what was it like
to be a programmer before WWII? Had electricity even been invented at
that time? Or did you have hamsters (or nerds) on wheels to power your
computers?

When I was a kid I had to put my abacus together every morning using
sticks and clay beads.

Now go finish your homework and then you can go out and play with your
friends. <G>

--
Rick DeNatale

Tom Cloyd

Hope said:
[...]

This will be a test case for the question of whether humor and ruby mix.
Or maybe it's about THIS kind of humor ...combined with ruby. After all
this is a SERIOUS list. Must be the influence of all those Java folks,
who of necessity drink their own kool aid. I sometimes think this list
is a prime refuge for the Java toxified. So be it.

But, oh...the people you left off! Wow. I love who you included, but how
about Ryan Davis - the guy who is the source of fully 1/3 of gems
currently available, and who cannot release one with releasing another
20 at the same. He really ought to get a life, except that if he did it
would decimate our libraries. Such a dilemma. However, the accompanying
documentation, etc., strongly suggests that his 18th birthday is awfully
close. Never mind. His productivity is simply without equal. So what if
someone has to drive him from appointment to appointment?

And Dave Thomas...first off the starting block again and again, in the
area of making ruby accessible for newbies. I'm trying, but I'm having a
little trouble finding where to apply the heat with this fellow. I don't
understand how any one person can know as much as he seems to, about the
tiniest little pieces of Ruby. Best not to rock this boat too much
either, huh?

Then there our anonymous Islamic friends, who post here from time to
time. Not the serious professional ones, but the evangelical ones. You
know who you are. A perfect example of witless irrelevance (somewhat
like this post, perhaps). In any case, I hear that Ryan wants all such
email forwarded to him, for judicious handling.

Well, it IS August. In the USA, this is sometimes referred to as the
"silly season". It comes right before school starts up again. Last
chance to escape responsibility.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (e-mail address removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)

Robert Dober

Dear ruby list members

- Robert D.
France and England always have been and always will be at loggerheads.
You seem to be trying to change that by actually trying to understand
the French. And use there language on this forum. Please! Some of us
here hate French. Unlike you, we were forced to learn it in school. An
experience that scarred me for life. And probably negatively impact my
intelligence as well.
Please read only my brilliant code and ignore my lousy French (well it
is better than my lousier English, but who cares ).
And do not dare talking about Rugby to me ;).
- Pascal J. Bouillon (oui?)
You're last name sounds like a variant of fondue. You're persistence on
comparing everything to Lisp, on the other hand, is much firmer. (By the
way, did you somehow infect Robert D.?) No I was sick before.

- James Edward Gray II, King of Ruby Land
The resident aristocrat. I do like your tutorial on M17N.

- 7stud
It's simple: first think, /then/ post. No, not the other way around,
which will result in a mess - both here and in real life. Take it from
me, I always make sure what I wrote makes sense before I post - which is
why I end up never posting in the first place.

- David B.
You're...uhm...really good, I guess. Gee, there's nothing much to say
about you. Can't even insult you based on a perceived lack of
intelligence. You must therefore be lacking personality. Nice try.

- Eleanor McH.
You know, English is not my native language, so I was in the mistaken
belief that you were a dude like the rest of us...until I saw a picture
of you somewhere on the web...now, every time I read one of your posts,
I must make an effort to replace that mental image of the random nerd
with that of the cute chick physicist.

- Rick D.
Just like I pictured Eleanor to be a dude, I imagined you to be in your
20ies.
Did you miss that Rick worked with Kent Back, shame on YOU ;)

I liked your post, we all need to laugh about ourselves sometimes, I
hope you will do that too when we take revenge ;)

Cheers
Robert
--=20
module Kernel
alias_method :=EB, :lambda
end

James Edward Gray II

- James Edward Gray II, King of Ruby Land
The resident aristocrat.

I'm glad you like my name.

You might like it less if it was yours though. "James Gray" is so
common where I live that if I use that name at the eye doctor I get
the wrong glasses. Thus I use my full name just out of self defense
and not in an effort to be kingly.

Of course, your parents seem to have stuck you with a far more
hopeless label. ;)
I do like your tutorial on M17N.

Glad to hear it.

James Edward Gray II

Gregory Brown

I'm glad you like my name.

You might like it less if it was yours though. =A0"James Gray" is so comm= on
where I live that if I use that name at the eye doctor I get the wrong
glasses. =A0Thus I use my full name just out of self defense and not in a= n
effort to be kingly.

This is why my children will have SHA hashes for middle names.

-greg

Rick DeNatale

You might like it less if it was yours though. =A0"James Gray" is so comm= on
where I live that if I use that name at the eye doctor I get the wrong
glasses. =A0Thus I use my full name just out of self defense and not in a= n
effort to be kingly.

And I notice that you almost NEVER prepend the HRH to which you are
entitled! <G>

--=20
Rick DeNatale