Ruby makes long-awaited entrance in the top 20

Minkoo Seo

Hi group.

Did you see TIOBE Programming Community Index for April 2006? You can
see it here: http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

Ruby made amazingly big leap; it entered top 20. And delta in its rank
is 14!

Sincerely,
Minkoo Seo

Stephen Kellett

In message said:
Ruby made amazingly big leap; it entered top 20. And delta in its rank
is 14!

I think the interesting thing is that D also made a large jump to
position 20. You never hear/read about D and yet there it is, at #20. I
guess lots of people are downloading from Digital Mars.

Also ActionScript is quite high considering it is a proprietary language
with only one vendor (Adobe/Macromedia).

Stephen

James H.

The rankins are flawed though. Pay close attention to their
methodology for obtaining these rankings. Essentially they're counting
the number of hits in Google when they type "<language> programmer".
There's a (relatively) good discussion on Digg about this article.

James H

David N. Welton

James said:
The rankins are flawed though. Pay close attention to their
methodology for obtaining these rankings. Essentially they're counting
the number of hits in Google when they type "<language> programmer".
There's a (relatively) good discussion on Digg about this article.

I think that my own stats, while not perfect, don't provide an
innacurate picture of things:

http://www.dedasys.com/articles/language_popularity.html

I'll try and find some time to run them - it should be interesting to
see whether the numbers confirm what seems obvious - that Ruby is
becoming much more popular.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/