Ruby Weekly News 12th - 18th March 2007

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tim Sutherland, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. Links are at http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20070318.html

    Ruby Weekly News 12th - 18th March 2007
    forum).

    This edition is brought to you by Tim Sutherland and Robert Postill.

    Articles and Announcements
    ==========================

    * New O'Reilly book features Matz
    ---------------------------------

    ChrisH stumbled on an announcement for a new O'Reilly book "Beautiful
    Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think", which includes an
    essay by Matz.

    Royalties from the book will be donated to Amnesty International.

    * South Florida Software Symposium - May 18 - 20, 2007

    If you're in Florida between the 18th and 20th of May you may well
    want to get yourself down to this event. Its a No Fluff Just Stuff
    event so expect plenty of cool talks.

    * Google Summer of Code (please forward)

    Pet Eyler announces that Ruby Central have again been selected as a
    mentoring organisation for the Google Summer of Code.

    The deadline for student proposals is March 24.
    "If you're interested, the time to act is now!"
    A list of ideas has been put up on rubycentral.org.

    "If you're still interested in mentoring, but haven't contacted me
    yet, please do."

    In another thread, 'KDE Ruby SOC projects', Richard Dale says the KDE
    project was also selected as a mentoring organisation, and there is
    already one Ruby-related KDE proposal.

    Richard listed some possible projects that he hopes students will
    consider, including "Interactive visual irb. Like a Smalltalk
    environment I think ruby projects should be developed against an
    always running program."

    User Group News
    ===============

    * North Bay Ruby Users Group March Meeting (Sebastopol, CA)

    Rob Orsini presented "Exploring Ruport" at this month's North Bay
    (California) Ruby User Group meeting.

    * London Ruby User Group - 12th March, 2007

    The London Ruby User Group had a "code review" meeting, where members
    submitted their code for discussion.

    * Phoenix Ruby Users Group March Meeting

    JRuby and RSpec were the topics of discussion in March's Phoenix RUG
    meeting.

    * Milwaukee RUG Meeting - This Wednesday 3/14/07 @ 5:30-7:30

    The agenda for this week's Milwaukee RUG meeting was "Leveraging
    CruiseControl for Continuous Integration", "Continuous Integration for
    Rails", by Tom Jordan.

    Threads
    =======

    Who's maintaining log4r?
    ------------------------

    This thread kicked off with the Jeff having made some patches for Log4r
    but finding himself unable to submit them to the project maintainer.

    Tom Copeland (admin of Rubyforge) weighed in and conferred with the chaps
    at Ruby Central about what to do with unmaintained projects.

    Various suggestions were offered including forcibly adding maintainers to
    a project and forking new projects from the existing codebase. The
    rubyforge guys decided they prefered forking to fiddling with existing
    projects.

    Eventaully the original maintainer came forward so hopefully this
    important project will soon be getting some cool new features.

    shutting irb up
    ---------------

    A top tip started this short thread. For those moments when you want irb
    to be that little bit extra terse simply follow the instructions herein.

    Ruby and Mobile
    ---------------

    SunRaySon asks if it is possible to develop Ruby applications for mobile
    phones.

    Justin Collins and Zouplaz point out the WinCE and Symbian ports of Ruby.
    WAP and SMS technologies can also be used.

    QTRuby + QT4 + Win32
    --------------------

    "I would like to use the fantastic QT4 for Win32 using the Qtruby
    bindings", writes Uma Geller. Has anyone managed to compile this on
    Windows?

    Hans Fugal links to a recent thread in the QtRuby forums where a poster
    explains how he's successfully done this.

    Also in that thread, Richard Dale says that a qt4-ruby-mswin32 binary gem
    is a "top priority" for the next QtRuby release, which will make life much
    easier.

    What graphical frontend for a simple 2D game?

    ChrisKaelin "just started for fun a little project creating an rpg-like
    game (you know, dwarves, elves'n'stuff)", and decided it was time to put a
    graphical interface on it. What game or graphics libraries should he use?

    The best option is Rubygame, followed by Ruby/SDL, replies Steven
    Davidovitz. RUDL is also available, however it is "fairly old and outdated
    with the last release in 2004".

    Editor: You can also use a non-game-oriented graphical toolkit that has
    Ruby bindings, like Tk, Fox, wxWidgets, GTK+/GNOME, or Qt/KDE. RAA lists
    some Ruby games as well.

    New Releases
    ============

    JRuby rails-integration release announcement

    This project aims to make deployment of Ruby projects into WARs possible.
    It looks like a cool project so give it a shot.

    RSS Parser 0.1.7
    ----------------

    Kouhei Sutou announced the latest release of RSS parser. Note the Atom and
    Dublin core godness included in this release.

    One-Click Ruby Installer 1.8.6-25
    ---------------------------------

    Curt Hibbs released a new version of the One-Click Ruby Installer for
    Windows. The only change is the upgrade to Ruby 1.8.6.

    ruby-semacode-0.7.3
    -------------------

    A new release of Ruby Semacode is out. If you're wondering what a semacode
    is check out http://www.semacode.org.

    Ruby-HL7 0.1.23
    ---------------

    The latest release of HL7 parsing and generation library has been
    announced by Mark Guzman. Despite the version number this is apparently
    the first public release so props to Mark :)

    Ruby 1.8.6 has been released
    ----------------------------

    Akinori MUSHA: "I am pleased to announce that Ruby 1.8.6, the latest
    release from the 1.8 stable branch, has finally been released."

    > This version of Ruby is a steady and reasonable enhancement of the 1.8
    > series including many bug and security fixes, standard library updates,
    > feature enhancements and performance improvements keeping high backward
    > compatibility with the previous release (1.8.5).

    end
    ===

    We hoped you enjoyed this edition of the Ruby Weekly News.

    Anyone can contribute to the next newsletter - simply visit
    http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/newsletters/contribute/next to summarise
    one or more threads from the list. Thanks!
    Tim Sutherland, Mar 21, 2007

  2. On Mar 21, 2007, at 3:00 AM, Tim Sutherland wrote:

    > Pet Eyler announces that Ruby Central have again been
    > selected...

    I love this typo. He's not really our pet though, we are his pets. ;)

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Mar 26, 2007

  3. Tim Sutherland

    pat eyler Guest

    On 3/26/07, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 2007, at 3:00 AM, Tim Sutherland wrote:
    >
    > > Pet Eyler announces that Ruby Central have again been
    > > selected...

    > I love this typo. He's not really our pet though, we are his pets. ;)

    You may have uncovered my plan JEG-man, but you're too late. No
    one can stop me now. Bwahahahaha

    --
    thanks,
    -pate