RubyGem behind an authenticating proxy

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Adriano Rodrigues Ferreira, May 4, 2004.

  1. I would like to use RubyGem from behind an authenticating proxy, Squid, to
    be exact.

    There is the -P option, but I couldn't get it right. I tried things like

    gem -P=http://proxy.mydomain.com:3128/ -Ri module
    gem --http_proxy=http://99.2.22.22:3128/ -Ri module (with IP numbers)

    and I got just

    Attempting remote installation of 'RedCloth'
    407 Proxy Authentication Required

    Then I tried URLs like this:

    http://user:pass@96.2.22.22:3128/

    and also setting environment variables
    HTTP_PROXY
    HTTP_PROXY_USER
    HTTP_PROXY_PASS

    But it really didn't care for my efforts. Anybody can give me some
    instruction of how to make it work? I am using Windows 2000 (shame one me)
    and "ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [i386-mswin32]".

    Best regards,
    Adriano.

    Adriano Rodrigues Ferreira, May 4, 2004

  2. On Wednesday, May 5, 2004, 2:55:34 AM, Adriano wrote:

    > I would like to use RubyGem from behind an authenticating proxy, Squid, to
    > be exact.

    I can't offer any real help; I can only say that RubyGems' proxy
    handling is completely outsourced to 'open-uri'. If you can
    demonstrate a simple app using just that, in which your particular
    proxy works, it would help.

    Cheers,
    Gavin

    Gavin Sinclair, May 4, 2004