Rubygems 0.9.5 and fastthread mswin32 gem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Vassilis Rizopoulos, Dec 5, 2007.

  1. Is there a binary gem for fastthread on windows?

    gem install fastthread on windows tries to compile with rather
    unpleasant consequences.
    I guess fastthread compilation is done with the VC6.0 tools, cause my
    VS2005 installation crashes and burns:

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC>gem install fastthread
    ERROR: Error installing fastthread:

    c:/dev/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install fastthread
    creating Makefile

    nmake

    Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.762

    cl -nologo -I. -Ic:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32
    -Ic:/dev/ruby/lib
    /ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I. -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6 -c -Tcfastthread.c
    cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'Og-' has been deprecated and
    will be r
    emoved in a future release
    cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '-G6'
    fastthread.c
    c:\dev\ruby\lib\ruby\1.8\i386-mswin32\config.h(2) : fatal error C1189:
    #error :
    MSC version unmatch
    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
    8\VC\BIN\c
    l.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
    Stop.

    Anyone got an idea?
    Cheers,
    V.-
    --
    http://www.braveworld.net/riva
    Vassilis Rizopoulos, Dec 5, 2007

  2. Vassilis Rizopoulos

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Dec 5, 7:08 am, Vassilis Rizopoulos <> wrote:
    > Is there a binary gem for fastthread on windows?

    Yes, there is.

    RubyGems 0.9.5 is broken for mswin32.

    This was reported here, in mongrel mailing list and all over the web.

    > gem install fastthread on windows tries to compile with rather
    > unpleasant consequences.

    gem install is trying to install the ruby version of all these gems
    since "think" there is no match for 'mswin32' platform.

    All that was fixed on RubyGems trunk but still no official release of
    "0.9.5.1" to fix it.

    > I guess fastthread compilation is done with the VC6.0 tools, cause my
    > VS2005 installation crashes and burns:

    You can use a different compiler than the one use to build ruby. You
    need to build ruby with VS2005.

    That's another story, the bottom line is: rubygems shouldn't be asking

    Revert to RubyGems 0.9.4 for the time being and this problem will go
    away.

    (I know is not your fault, but I'm really getting tired of repeat
    myself all over again).

    HTH,

    Luis
    Luis Lavena, Dec 5, 2007

  3. Luis Lavena wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 7:08 am, Vassilis Rizopoulos <> wrote:
    > > Is there a binary gem for fastthread on windows? Yes, there is.
    > > RubyGems 0.9.5 is broken for mswin32.
    > > This was reported here, in mongrel mailing list and all over the
    > > web.
    > > gem install fastthread on windows tries to compile with rather
    > > unpleasant consequences.

    > gem install is trying to install the ruby version of all these gems
    > since "think" there is no match for 'mswin32' platform.
    > All that was fixed on RubyGems trunk but still no official release of
    > "0.9.5.1" to fix it.
    > > I guess fastthread compilation is done with the VC6.0 tools, cause
    > > my VS2005 installation crashes and burns:

    > You can use a different compiler than the one use to build ruby. You
    > need to build ruby with VS2005.
    > at's another story, the bottom line is: rubygems shouldn't be
    > asking
    > Revert to RubyGems 0.9.4 for the time being and this problem will go
    > away.
    > (I know is not your fault, but I'm really getting tired of repeat
    > myself all over again).

    I can undertsand that :). I guess I can get the binary gem and install
    locally.
    The problem is that reverting to 0.9.4 brings up a different problem
    that I have with one of my own gems.
    When I do a gem install or gem update rutema with 0.9.4 a list pops up
    with the available versions.
    Now the old versions (build with Hoe) have ruby as a platform. The new
    versions (posted yesterday) have no platform set (empty parenthesis).
    If I choose any of the new versions I get a 404 error from gem. Note
    that this happens only on windows, on my mac everything works fine.
    Everything is built with Hoe so it must be something that happened
    during the upgrade of either rubygems or hoe.
    Once I upgraded to rubygems 0.9.5 the problem went away.
    Now it might be that because I built the gems on a system with 0.9.5
    there is some kind of incompatibility with 0.9.4
    I honestly don't have the time to look into it though :(
    Cheers,
    V.-

    --
    http://www.braveworld.net/riva
    Vassilis Rizopoulos, Dec 5, 2007
  4. Vassilis Rizopoulos

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Dec 5, 10:19 am, Vassilis Rizopoulos <> wrote:
    > Luis Lavena wrote:
    > > On Dec 5, 7:08 am, Vassilis Rizopoulos <> wrote:
    > > > Is there a binary gem for fastthread on windows? Yes, there is.
    > > > RubyGems 0.9.5 is broken for mswin32.
    > > > This was reported here, in mongrel mailing list and all over the
    > > > web.
    > > > gem install fastthread on windows tries to compile with rather
    > > > unpleasant consequences.

    > > gem install is trying to install the ruby version of all these gems
    > > since "think" there is no match for 'mswin32' platform.
    > > All that was fixed on RubyGems trunk but still no official release of
    > > "0.9.5.1" to fix it.
    > > > I guess fastthread compilation is done with the VC6.0 tools, cause
    > > > my VS2005 installation crashes and burns:

    > > You can use a different compiler than the one use to build ruby. You
    > > need to build ruby with VS2005.
    > > at's another story, the bottom line is: rubygems shouldn't be
    > > asking
    > > Revert to RubyGems 0.9.4 for the time being and this problem will go
    > > away.
    > > (I know is not your fault, but I'm really getting tired of repeat
    > > myself all over again).

    > I can undertsand that :). I guess I can get the binary gem and install
    > locally.
    > The problem is that reverting to 0.9.4 brings up a different problem
    > that I have with one of my own gems.
    > When I do a gem install or gem update rutema with 0.9.4 a list pops up
    > with the available versions.
    > Now the old versions (build with Hoe) have ruby as a platform. The new
    > versions (posted yesterday) have no platform set (empty parenthesis).
    > If I choose any of the new versions I get a 404 error from gem. Note
    > that this happens only on windows, on my mac everything works fine.
    > Everything is built with Hoe so it must be something that happened
    > during the upgrade of either rubygems or hoe.
    > Once I upgraded to rubygems 0.9.5 the problem went away.
    > Now it might be that because I built the gems on a system with 0.9.5
    > there is some kind of incompatibility with 0.9.4

    Hoe set the platform to the gem specification to Gem::platform::RUBY
    by default, so if this was packaged in the gem as empty string or
    rubygems being unable to 'parse' the platform rutema gem is set could
    be a bug in rubygems itself.

    You should report this situation in RubyGems tracker:

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=126

    > I honestly don't have the time to look into it though :(
    > Cheers,
    > V.-

    Me neither :p

    A lot of folks didn't roll the upgrade to 0.9.5, and some of those who
    made it revert back to 0.9.4...

    I suggest you recreate these gems with 0.9.4 and ask Tom (at Rubyforge
    support) to help you resync them on the mirrors replacing the old and
    broken ones.

    Regards.

    Luis
    Luis Lavena, Dec 5, 2007
  5. I have the same problem, but i am using 0.9.4.
    I've tried gem install fastthread and choose the mswin32 version, didn't
    work, it tried to compile.
    I've even downloaded the gem manually and tried to install it, but it
    still tried to compile it.
    Any clue what could be going on here?
    Arthur Holstvoogd, Dec 11, 2007
  6. Vassilis Rizopoulos

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Dec 11, 10:05 am, Arthur Holstvoogd <>
    wrote:
    > I have the same problem, but i am using 0.9.4.
    > I've tried gem install fastthread and choose the mswin32 version, didn't
    > work, it tried to compile.
    > I've even downloaded the gem manually and tried to install it, but it
    > still tried to compile it.
    > Any clue what could be going on here?

    Weird:

    D:\Users\Luis>gem install fastthread --include-dependencies --no-ri --
    no-rdoc
    Need to update 31 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
    complete
    Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32)
    1. fastthread 1.0.1 (mswin32)
    2. fastthread 1.0.1 (ruby)
    3. fastthread 1.0 (mswin32)
    4. fastthread 1.0 (ruby)
    5. Skip this gem
    6. Cancel installation
    > 1

    Successfully installed fastthread-1.0.1-mswin32

    D:\Users\Luis>irb
    irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
    => true
    irb(main):002:0> require 'fastthread'
    => true
    irb(main):003:0> Thread
    Thread ThreadError ThreadGroup

    D:\Users\Luis>gem -v
    0.9.4

    D:\Users\Luis>gem env
    RubyGems Environment:
    - VERSION: 0.9.4 (0.9.4)
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - GEM PATH:
    - C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - REMOTE SOURCES:
    - http://gems.rubyforge.org