    i'm running over Mac OS X 10.4.11

    apart from apple's ruby i do have also a ruby "MacPort" under /opt...

    Yvon

    unbewusst, Jan 23, 2008

  2. On Jan 23, 2008 11:34 AM, unbewusst <> wrote:
    > i've installed rubygems 0.9.5 with ruby 1.9 lying in my HOME but i get
    > only a gems/1.8/ directory.
    >
    > then i think i didn't use to correct version of rubygems ? is that
    > right ?
    >
    > what is the best way to get rubygems working with ruby 1.9 installed
    > in HOME ???
    >
    > i'm running over Mac OS X 10.4.11

    I have no idea about OSX, but I think you can update your rubygems
    easily if you go in the ~/ruby/bin directory(gem is located there) and
    use
    > sudo gem update --system

    to update your Rubygems. I hope that helps.

    Thomas Wieczorek, Jan 23, 2008

  3. unbewusst

    unbewusst Guest

    On 23 jan, 11:53, Thomas Wieczorek <> wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 2008 11:34 AM, unbewusst <> wrote:
    >
    > > i've installed rubygems 0.9.5 with ruby 1.9 lying in my HOME but i get
    > > only a gems/1.8/ directory.

    > > then i think i didn't use to correct version of rubygems ? is that
    > > right ?

    > > what is the best way to get rubygems working with ruby 1.9 installed
    > > in HOME ???

    > > i'm running over Mac OS X 10.4.11

    > I have no idea about OSX, but I think you can update your rubygems
    > easily if you go in the ~/ruby/bin directory(gem is located there) and
    > use> sudo gem update --system
    >
    > to update your Rubygems. I hope that helps.

    OK, fine, thanks, i'll try that asap...

    unbewusst, Jan 23, 2008
  4. Alle Wednesday 23 January 2008, unbewusst ha scritto:
    > i've installed rubygems 0.9.5 with ruby 1.9 lying in my HOME but i get
    > only a gems/1.8/ directory.
    >
    > then i think i didn't use to correct version of rubygems ? is that
    > right ?
    >
    > what is the best way to get rubygems working with ruby 1.9 installed
    > in HOME ???
    >
    > i'm running over Mac OS X 10.4.11
    >
    > apart from apple's ruby i do have also a ruby "MacPort" under /opt...
    >
    > Yvon

    I installed ruby 1.9 alongside ruby 1.8 on my linux system without any
    trouble. I don't know Mac OS X, but I heard is Unix based, so I think you can
    use the steps I took, at least as a starting point.

    Ruby 1.8 and rubygems were installed using my OS package manager, under the
    /usr directory. So I had:

    /usr/bin/ruby18
    /usr/bin/ruby (a symlink to /usr/bin/ruby18)
    /usr/bin/gem18
    /usr/bin/gem (a symlink to /usr/bin/gem18)
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

    I decided to install ruby 1.9 in the /usr/local directory. You can choose any
    other directory, of course, but you should make sure that it has a bin
    subdirectory which is in you PATH. Moreover, I decided to install it using
    appending the '19' suffix to the name of the programs, so that I could call
    ruby 1.8 (which should remain the default one) with ruby and the new one with
    ruby19.

    After downloading and extracting the ruby-1.9 tarball, I issued the following
    commands:

    cd ruby-1.9.0-0
    /configure --prefix=/usr/local --program-suffix=19
    make
    sudo make install

    With this, the following files and directories (among others) were created:

    /usr/local/bin/ruby19
    /usr/local/bin/irb19
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9

    I then downloaded the tgz package (version 1.0.1) from the rubygems rubyforge
    page (http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126&release_id=17305), extracted it
    and did:

    cd rubygems-1.0.1
    sudo ruby19 setup.rb

    It's important to notice I had to use ruby19 to install rubygems, not ruby.
    This installed the rubygems .rb files in /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.0
    and created the file /usr/local/bin/gem19.

    To check that everything worked, I tried installing the rake gem:

    sudo gem19 install rake

    (again note, I called the 1.9 version of gem)

    This created the directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.0 and installed rake
    under it.

    I hope this helps

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Jan 23, 2008
  5. Stefano Crocco wrote:
    > After downloading and extracting the ruby-1.9 tarball, I issued the following
    > commands:
    >
    > cd ruby-1.9.0-0
    > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --program-suffix=19
    > make
    > sudo make install
    >
    > With this, the following files and directories (among others) were created:
    >
    > /usr/local/bin/ruby19
    > /usr/local/bin/irb19
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9

    Didn't this install /usr/local/bin/gem19, as well?

    Joel VanderWerf, Jan 23, 2008
  6. Alle Wednesday 23 January 2008, Joel VanderWerf ha scritto:
    > Stefano Crocco wrote:
    > > After downloading and extracting the ruby-1.9 tarball, I issued the
    > > following commands:
    > >
    > > cd ruby-1.9.0-0
    > > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --program-suffix=19
    > > make
    > > sudo make install
    > >
    > > With this, the following files and directories (among others) were
    > > created:
    > >
    > > /usr/local/bin/ruby19
    > > /usr/local/bin/irb19
    > > /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9

    > Didn't this install /usr/local/bin/gem19, as well?

    You're right! When I installed ruby 1.9, I didn't even think to check whether
    gems were included with it, and assumed I had to install it manually, just as
    with 1.8.

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Jan 23, 2008
  7. unbewusst

    Une Bévue Guest

    Stefano Crocco <> wrote:

    > /configure --prefix=/usr/local --program-suffix=19

    OK, fine, thanks, i needed the magick of "--program-suffix=19" )))

    --
    Une Bévue

    Une Bévue, Jan 25, 2008
  8. unbewusst

    Une Bévue Guest

    Stefano Crocco <> wrote:

    > > Didn't this install /usr/local/bin/gem19, as well?

    > You're right! When I installed ruby 1.9, I didn't even think to check whether
    > gems were included with it, and assumed I had to install it manually, just as
    > with 1.8.

    both ways updating rubygems failed with :

    ~%> sudo gem19 update --system
    Updating RubyGems...
    Updating metadata for 489 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
    [...]
    complete
    Attempting remote update of rubygems-update
    Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.0.1
    1 gem installed
    Updating version of RubyGems to 1.0.1
    Installing RubyGems 1.0.1
    setup.rb:12:in `<main>': uninitialized constant Config (NameError)
    --
    Une Bévue

    Une Bévue, Jan 25, 2008
  9. unbewusst

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Jan 25, 2008, at 10:34 AM, Une B=E9vue wrote:
    > Stefano Crocco <> wrote:
    >>> Didn't this install /usr/local/bin/gem19, as well?

    >> You're right! When I installed ruby 1.9, I didn't even think to =20
    >> check whether
    >> gems were included with it, and assumed I had to install it =20
    >> manually, just as
    >> with 1.8.

    > both ways updating rubygems failed with :
    >
    > ~%> sudo gem19 update --system

    There is no need to do this. Ruby 1.9.0 has the latest RubyGems.=

    Eric Hodel, Jan 25, 2008