Runtime.exec on Windows 2000

Arnab

Hello!

I have a question regarding the Java Runtime.exec method. If anybody
have any thoughts/inputs, please reply back.
From our Java code we need to start a particular executable (on
Windows) multiple times. The Java code is part of a servlet application
that is run on standalone OC4J (Oracle J2EE Engine).

When I run the code from the command-prompt using "java -jar oc4j.jar"
things seems perfectly fine - I can start as many processes as the
System hardware will allow.

However, problem starts when we we run OC4J using a C++ Windows Service
wrapper. It allows upto 65 processes to start. Beyond that Runtime.exec
stops working (does not even throw an Exception).

We have done enough tests to rule out memory/permission related issues.
It all seems to come down to a single issue - Is java.exe the process
that forks out childs execs OR our own C++ service exe.

Anyone aware of limitation set on number of processes that can be
started from a single process on Windows ?

Thanks,
Arnab.