Saving settings on the client machine

Guest

I have a text string containing XML data that I'd like to save on the client
machine, in local text file.
I need to prompt the user for the location of the file, so that the user may
save different XML strings in different files.
How do I provide a file-save dialog box, similar to the one a user is
getting when downloading a file?
Please keep in mind that I'm talking about data that is located at the
client, this data is never at the server.

Kevin Spencer

The browser doesn't have permission to write files (other than to its cache
and cookies). So, you would need a client-side app hosted IN the borwser,
Java applet, or ActiveX Control, to do this.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Guest

Yes, and if it's people have sp2 installed expect an even hard time. It
would be much much easier to do this as a windows forms based app.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi James,

I think Kevin's suggestion is reasonable. The Browser based web application
has very restricted permissions on the client machine which can't finish
the task you required. As for the tasks you mentioned, a rich client app is
not suitable. Thanks.

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security