Scan files before uploading it to Server in ASP.NET 2.0

Kausar

Hello All,

I want to know how to scan the files before uploading it to the
server in ASP.NET 2.0 application.
One work arround i thought is to allow to upload in some
temporary folder then sacn it on server but i think it's not the right way
coz the infected file will also get uploaded. so, i want to know is there
any way to do it on client-side? if it's there how to do it? can a
javascript check the any antivirus say Norton service is running on the
client's system? Can i access Norton's API to scan the files?

Thanks & Regards
Kausar

Guest

In order to virus scan the files on the client you would have to devlop some
sort of Java aplet or ActiveX control. You best for of defense is to let
users upload the files into some kind of temporary folder that has no execute
permision. You could then scan the files there. Always remeber even a
virused execultable is harmless unless some way is contrived to execute it,
simply uploading it to your webserver would not surfice.