Scheduling ASP / SQL

Dominic Marsat

Hi,

I've been asked to help with the automation of a nightly flat file
extraction of data from a SQL server (I think it's MS SQL 2000), i.e.
producing a text file containing specific data.

I have read previously in this news group methods of scheduling ASP pages/VB
scripts that could accomplish this task.

Is it possible to achieve this solely via the SQL server instead of using
ASP/VB scripts?

Thanks, Dominic

Don Grover

You can do this using ActiveX objects and vbscript in a DTS (Local Package)
oon sql2k but this has limitations with security access some times.
Personally I would use vbscript scheduled from the scheduler, I have some
fairly robust scripts doing some pretty intensive data exchange using vb
scripts,.
One bonus is I can test functions remotely by pointing at sql server from
any box.
Regards
Don Grover

Henry Robinson

What your interested in, sounds like, Windows Scripting
which uses VB Language. I usually write the code and
make sure it works in asp, then convert the connect
string, remove the < % % >, etc. for use as a VBS file,
then schedule it as

wscript.exe [drive]:\[path]\[filename.vbs]

More info at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/wsconWSHBasics.asp
(this link also contains the Language Reference)

Also, yes, it is possible to have this on just the SQL Server.

P.S. There are some other advantages though, to having
it on your iis server because not only can you use FSO
but also CDO, if SMTP is available, to email that TEXT
file.

Jeff Cochran

I've been asked to help with the automation of a nightly flat file
extraction of data from a SQL server (I think it's MS SQL 2000), i.e.
producing a text file containing specific data.

I have read previously in this news group methods of scheduling ASP pages/VB
scripts that could accomplish this task.

Is it possible to achieve this solely via the SQL server instead of using
ASP/VB scripts?

Ask in a SQL group and you'll find it's not just possible but normal,
with any number of methods. Personal favorite is DTS, but BOL or a
SQL group will be the place for an explanation.

Jeff