    Is it possible to achieve this solely via the SQL server instead of using
    ASP/VB scripts?

    Thanks, Dominic
    Dominic Marsat, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Dominic Marsat

    Don Grover Guest

    You can do this using ActiveX objects and vbscript in a DTS (Local Package)
    oon sql2k but this has limitations with security access some times.
    Personally I would use vbscript scheduled from the scheduler, I have some
    fairly robust scripts doing some pretty intensive data exchange using vb
    scripts,.
    One bonus is I can test functions remotely by pointing at sql server from
    any box.
    Regards
    Don Grover

    "Dominic Marsat" <djmarsatAThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been asked to help with the automation of a nightly flat file
    > extraction of data from a SQL server (I think it's MS SQL 2000), i.e.
    > producing a text file containing specific data.
    >
    > I have read previously in this news group methods of scheduling ASP

    pages/VB

    Don Grover, Apr 22, 2004

  3. What your interested in, sounds like, Windows Scripting
    which uses VB Language. I usually write the code and
    make sure it works in asp, then convert the connect
    string, remove the < % % >, etc. for use as a VBS file,
    then schedule it as

    wscript.exe [drive]:\[path]\[filename.vbs]

    More info at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/wsconWSHBasics.asp
    (this link also contains the Language Reference)

    Also, yes, it is possible to have this on just the SQL Server.

    P.S. There are some other advantages though, to having
    it on your iis server because not only can you use FSO
    but also CDO, if SMTP is available, to email that TEXT
    file.

    Henry Robinson, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Dominic Marsat

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:02:55 +0100, "Dominic Marsat"
    <djmarsatAThotmail.com> wrote:

    >I've been asked to help with the automation of a nightly flat file
    >extraction of data from a SQL server (I think it's MS SQL 2000), i.e.
    >producing a text file containing specific data.
    >
    >I have read previously in this news group methods of scheduling ASP pages/VB
    >scripts that could accomplish this task.
    >
    >Is it possible to achieve this solely via the SQL server instead of using
    >ASP/VB scripts?

    Ask in a SQL group and you'll find it's not just possible but normal,
    with any number of methods. Personal favorite is DTS, but BOL or a
    SQL group will be the place for an explanation.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Apr 22, 2004