Scrabble on pogo.com (a Java game)

bob

I've been trying to play Scrabble on pogo.com (a Java game) and keep
experiencing all kinds of strange errors.

Has anyone else tried this? Any ideas what is going on? Are the
games programmed that badly or is Java applet technology just that
flaky?

BTW, I'm using the latest JRE.

Lew

I've been trying to play Scrabble on pogo.com (a Java game) and keep
experiencing all kinds of strange errors.

Has anyone else tried this?  Any ideas what is going on?  Are the
games programmed that badly or is Java applet technology just that
flaky?

Without a description of what kinds "all kinds" are and how strange
"strange" is, and why you think it's "strange" for that matter, how
can we guess?

In general Java applet technology is not flaky. Browser
implementations of applet interaction can be. Finally, Java being the
powerful language that it is, there is ample opportunity to right
gloriously bad code in it.

So given that you've told us nothing about the problem other than that
you interpret that one exists, we can surmise that any errors you see
are unlikely to come from Java, might come from the browser and
plausibly could well come from the program itself.

I'm sure if you gave us any tiny little remote smidgen of actual
information at all whatsoever in the least to go on for starters that
people could respond in a bit more depth.

Lew

Lew said:
In general Java applet technology is not flaky.  Browser
implementations of applet interaction can be.  Finally, Java being the
powerful language that it is, there is ample opportunity to right
gloriously bad code in it.

Spellcheckers are limited and fingers type automatically.

There is also ample opportunity to write gloriously bad code in Java.
One hopes that, if that happens, someone gets an opportunity to right
that bad code.

bob

Without a description of what kinds "all kinds" are and how strange
"strange" is, and why you think it's "strange" for that matter, how
can we guess?

In general Java applet technology is not flaky.  Browser
implementations of applet interaction can be.  Finally, Java being the
powerful language that it is, there is ample opportunity to right
gloriously bad code in it.

So given that you've told us nothing about the problem other than that
you interpret that one exists, we can surmise that any errors you see
are unlikely to come from Java, might come from the browser and
plausibly could well come from the program itself.

I'm sure if you gave us any tiny little remote smidgen of actual
information at all whatsoever in the least to go on for starters that
people could respond in a bit more depth.

Please see this for examples of some weird things I've seen:

http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1659154.aspx

Also, if you try the game, I'm pretty sure you'll see what I mean.

Arved Sandstrom

I've been trying to play Scrabble on pogo.com (a Java game) and keep
experiencing all kinds of strange errors.

Has anyone else tried this? Any ideas what is going on? Are the
games programmed that badly or is Java applet technology just that
flaky?

BTW, I'm using the latest JRE.

My girlfriend plays games on Pogo all the time. She had problems of many
different kinds right up until I completely wiped out Windows XP a few
weeks ago, and did a fresh install of same, plus putting on the latest
JRE. Nothing since.

I just conferred with her, and although she's no techie, what she
describes as being the major issues before lead me to believe that in
our case it was mostly my Windows XP install showing its age. She did
describe one situation of multiple windows in Pogo launching several
different JREs, which caused a game to not work; everything else sounded
like Windows & IE starting to die.

As I say, a brand-new install did the trick. You can only get so much
mileage from running various utilities on an aging Windows installation;
eventually you'll want to wipe it and re-install it. My own opinion.

AHS

Lew

Please don't quote sigs.
Please see this for examples of some weird things I've seen:

http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1659154.aspx

Also, if you try the game, I'm pretty sure you'll see what I mean.

Based on the discussions to which you linked (and no way I'm going to play a
game to diagnose what isn't even your problem but Pogo's and likely a
transient one at that), I see no basis whatsoever to conclude that "Java
applet technology" is at fault. I see better explanations on that discussion
page than we could likely create here in this forum. I'd listen to the guy
that says it's a server load problem. Of course, with what you've (not) told
us there's no way anyone here can speak with any degree of certainty about the
situation, unless they happen actually to work for Pogo.

There's nearly as little detailed information about the problem on that
discussion page as you gave us. Needless to say, they're not sharing source
code or server configuration, which is what we programmer types would need in
order to help. Pointing us to "try the game" is also not helpful. You don't
give a specific description of the behavior you observe, how it differs from
what you expect, what you've tried to do to fix it, or anything. There's no
indication at all that anything you (don't) describe is even a Java problem.

This is not the right forum at all for your question on this matter. You need
to talk to the folks at Pogo.