script errors generated by .net render

Guest

I am getting 'Object Expected' script errors from the scripts rendered by
aspnet 2.0 webcontrols.
This happens if I set OnTextChange="methodnamehere" on the .aspx page or use
the Control.Focus() method in the code behind.
The script that is created generates an error on the client side each
keypress for the ontextchanged and after a postback on the focus method.
I am pretty sure it's not getting the right ID, but since it's the default
rendered script for the webcontrols I am not sure why this would be happening.
In the case of the focus method, debugging the client side script shows that
the webform_AutoFocus is generating the error.
All these controls are in contentplaceholders for use in a master page.
The part that baffles me most is it works fine on the localhost virtual
server if I browse from within VS2005 and if I copy the precompiled to an IIS
5.1 running on my local system, but when precompiled app is copied to server
2k3/IIS6 it has all these script problems...anyone have an idea whats going
on?