search engine friendly

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Graham, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    Hi
    I have tried to make the site below more search engine friendly. (Only the
    index page validates at the moment)
    http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

    I have taken more care with the title and h1 headings etc. I did have
    iframes on the old site but I have now replaced these with scrolling divs.

    Any comments please?

    I know I have some problems - see my post earlier today (css icon goes to
    the html validation site, where to point it at the css site? and how do I
    stop a ragged right edge appearing in narrow windows
    (preventing this in IE at the moment with overflow: hidden) but I would like
    to solve the basic problem.

    thanks

    David

    David Graham, Jun 22, 2003

  2. David Graham wrote:

    > I have tried to make the site below more search engine friendly. (Only the
    > index page validates at the moment)
    > http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

    Lynx friendly is search engine friendly. Download a copy of lynx and test it
    in that (it won't come out very well).

    http://lynx.browser.org/

    > how do I stop a ragged right edge appearing in narrow windows
    > (preventing this in IE at the moment with overflow: hidden) but I would
    > like to solve the basic problem.

    I suspect it has to do with your 100% wide + margin elements. If you
    explicitly state the width of something as 100%, explicitly set the margins
    to 0.

    --
    David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/
    Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/

    David Dorward, Jun 22, 2003

  3. David Graham

    brucie Guest

    In post <x7nJa.634$>
    David Graham said...

    > I have tried to make the site below more search engine friendly. (Only the
    > index page validates at the moment)
    > http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

    theres nothing on the front page except the copyright notice

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 06:19:22 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jun 22, 2003
  4. David Graham

    Rob McAninch Guest

    PoetStorm

    > "David Graham" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have tried to make the site below more search engine
    >> friendly. (Only the index page validates at the moment)
    >> http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

    > Hi, I may not be correct here but if search engines are like
    > lynx, where they only see text,

    Lynx gives a good aproximation since SEs mostly index the text of
    a page. Some search engines may look at image names, but AFAIK,
    they don't yet analyze the actual image data. (Some SEs also can
    read Word, Excel, PDF, and other types of documents.)

    > all of your links are images
    > so the text will not be picked up and a search engine will not
    > index those words.

    Correct. Using relevant alt text will help, the title attribute
    may help as well (not certain if this is used by SEs or not). Of
    course actual text tends to rate higher for a search engine.

    > Try to have a text only navigation area too
    > or somehow communicate the function of the page in text so it
    > can be picked up.

    I see a link at the bottom to a very simple site map. That's what
    I typically submit to a search engine. This way nearly every page
    of my site is only one or two levels away.

    --
    Rob - http://rock13.com/
    Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/

    Rob McAninch, Jul 1, 2003