search engine

Marlo Brandon

Hi i need to create a search engine for my site.

What are the fastest, cheapest, most thorough solutions?
Out of the box?
Coding?

Where can I look for code, resources, strageies etc.
We have about 150 dynamic web pages.

Thanks!

Jeff Cochran

Hi i need to create a search engine for my site.

What are the fastest, cheapest, most thorough solutions?

That would probably be Indexing Services.
Out of the box?

Definitely Indexing Services.

Easiest would be Indexing Services.
Where can I look for code, resources, strageies etc.

Start -> Help -> Indexing Services. Also Google, and MSDN.
We have about 150 dynamic web pages.

Well, that may eliminate Indexing Services, since it doesn't index
dynamic content. If you can't index the content in the database it's
served from, perhaps look at dtSearch as a decent commercial
alternative.

http://www.dtsearch.com/

Jeff

Marlo Brandon

Well most of my content is in a database, but not all. There are some
pages, for instance word documents that we HTML_ize and just post on the
web.

I ended up getting SiteSearch for 50 Bucks - which is perfect. It does what
i want, without unneeded bells and whistles.
The only feature I wish it had was an FTP upload, and maybe PDF read.

http://www.marcreed.com/projects/search_indexer/tutorial/

For 50 bucks it saved me TONS of time in coding.

I didn't want this to sound like an ad,

Auric__

Well most of my content is in a database, but not all. There are some
pages, for instance word documents that we HTML_ize and just post on the
web.

I ended up getting SiteSearch for 50 Bucks - which is perfect. It does what
i want, without unneeded bells and whistles.
The only feature I wish it had was an FTP upload, and maybe PDF read.

If you want to index your PDF files, look into pdf2html:
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/pdf2html/

....but I don't know if it will work under Windows. Alternately, you
could try pdftohtml:
http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

....which has Win32 binaries.