    Where can I look for code, resources, strageies etc.
    We have about 150 dynamic web pages.

    Thanks!

    Marlo Brandon, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Marlo Brandon

    ASP.Confused Guest

    If your entire site is indexed by Google, you can use their search within
    your pages.

    http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html

    Might have to check licensing though.

    ASP.Confused, Aug 3, 2004

  3. got google.
    What else please?

    Marlo Brandon, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Marlo Brandon

    ASP.Confused Guest

    This is all I can think of...never used it myself.

    http://www.htdig.org/

    ASP.Confused, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Thanks,

    Marlo Brandon, Aug 4, 2004
  6. Marlo Brandon

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:18:33 -0600, "Marlo Brandon"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi i need to create a search engine for my site.
    >
    >What are the fastest, cheapest, most thorough solutions?

    That would probably be Indexing Services.

    >Out of the box?

    Definitely Indexing Services.

    >Coding?

    Easiest would be Indexing Services.

    >Where can I look for code, resources, strageies etc.

    Start -> Help -> Indexing Services. Also Google, and MSDN.

    >We have about 150 dynamic web pages.

    Well, that may eliminate Indexing Services, since it doesn't index
    dynamic content. If you can't index the content in the database it's
    served from, perhaps look at dtSearch as a decent commercial
    alternative.

    http://www.dtsearch.com/

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Aug 4, 2004
  7. Marlo Brandon

    Steven Burn Guest

    If your site content is in a database, why not just write your own?

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Aug 4, 2004
  8. Well most of my content is in a database, but not all. There are some
    pages, for instance word documents that we HTML_ize and just post on the
    web.

    I ended up getting SiteSearch for 50 Bucks - which is perfect. It does what
    i want, without unneeded bells and whistles.
    The only feature I wish it had was an FTP upload, and maybe PDF read.

    http://www.marcreed.com/projects/search_indexer/tutorial/

    For 50 bucks it saved me TONS of time in coding.

    I didn't want this to sound like an ad,

    Marlo Brandon, Aug 4, 2004
  9. Marlo Brandon

    Steven Burn Guest

    Glad to hear you found a solution ;o)

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Aug 4, 2004
  10. Marlo Brandon

    Auric__ Guest

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:38:33 -0600, Marlo Brandon wrote:

    >Well most of my content is in a database, but not all. There are some
    >pages, for instance word documents that we HTML_ize and just post on the
    >web.
    >
    >I ended up getting SiteSearch for 50 Bucks - which is perfect. It does what
    >i want, without unneeded bells and whistles.
    >The only feature I wish it had was an FTP upload, and maybe PDF read.

    If you want to index your PDF files, look into pdf2html:
    http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/pdf2html/

    ....but I don't know if it will work under Windows. Alternately, you
    could try pdftohtml:
    http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

    ....which has Win32 binaries.
    --
    auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
    *****

    Auric__, Aug 7, 2004
  11. thanks!

    Mrs. Twitchell, Aug 9, 2004