Search Engines

AGB

Hi all,

I know this is a little off topic but I have been tasked with
implementing a search engine in my website. Does anyone have any
suggestions...I have looked at Google and Verity.

Thanks

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

why dont you use index server, it comes with win servers

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

clintonG

Matt, I'm assuming your reference is based on having actually used
Lucene.NET?
Would you talk to me --- us --- more about it? Have you used it to spider
sites?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

Matt Berther said:
Hello AGB,

Lucene.NET [1] is a great search engine and can be customized to do almost
anything you need. You will need to populate its index though.

[1] http://searchblackbox.com/lucene/index.html?ldn2

--
Matt Berther
http://www.mattberther.com
Hi all,

I know this is a little off topic but I have been tasked with
implementing a search engine in my website. Does anyone have any
suggestions...I have looked at Google and Verity.

Thanks

Matt Berther

Hello clintonG,

I've used Lucene.NET to spider a stack of xml for my company's document library
creating an index with relevant searchable fields. The only difference between
what I did with Lucene and what would need to be done here is to create the
code to spider the site. Surely theres an abundance of this type of code
on the web though. Once you've done this, its just a matter of populating
the index.

One really nice thing about Lucene.NET is that the indexes generated are
completely compatible with the Jakarta Lucene project (for Java). Also, there
is a very nice API used to create/populate/search the indexes.

Let me know if there are other questions that you have.

--
Matt Berther
http://www.mattberther.com
[...]

Thanks for comments Matt. I've needed search functionality for a web
services project and Lucene is looking good but the project also requires
spidering remote pages. I'll be looking around of course but have you any
referrals to spiders written in .NET?

<%= Clinton

Matt Berther said:
[...]

I've never had to use one, so I cant make a recommendation. However, a google
search for "c# web spider code" yields an article [1] at codeproject.com
as the first hit which looks promising.

[1] http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/DavWebSpider.asp

--
Matt Berther
http://www.mattberther.com
[...]

Hello Sparky,

This only works if its an internet viable ip address. Given his questions,
Im assuming that this is a LAN web server.