search function with xslt and xml

yoyoyo

hi all,
i'm trying to build a search engine which could search within an xml
document an that could give the results of the research to an xsl file
(maybe using parameters)..
i just wanted to know if it is possible, and, if so, if you know where
i can find some information on how i can do it..
i'm building a webpage made by two frames, one of which contain the
search function, and another one should display the result i gained
through the search engine..this second frame is built using xslt + xml
files.. the xml ones is exactly the same file in which i want to go to
search..
i hope to have been clear..

thank you in advance!
yoyo

Michele Ouellet

i'm trying to build a search engine which could search within an xml
document an that could give the results of the research to an xsl file
(maybe using parameters)..

Do you want to do this client-side or server-side?

If client-side, which is what I suspect, you need to understand how to pass
parameters to an XSL stylesheet in your browser.

You might want to look at this URL as a very general starting point:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xsl-list/2001-03/msg01316.html

If you work with Internet Explorer, you will need to use XMLHttpRequest to
do this. Search the MDSN site to this effect, but be aware that the COM code
examples often need to be modified based on versions of registered objects.
This is a bit messy.

Since the last time I looked at this, AJAX has become very popular. I have
not tried it myself but I suspect this is really the technology you should
investigate at this point for a client-side tool.

Good luck,

Michèle Ouellet
Stelvio Inc.

PS: This is much easier on the server-side...