Searching for Exact Phrase - should I ignore the ignore words?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rob Meade, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Lo all,

    I was just running through some code I was writing for a site and when it
    came to the 'exact phrase' search type I wasn't sure whether that should run
    through and ignore the words in the ignore list or not.

    I ran off and checked your ASPFAQ webby and I notice that Aaron still strips
    them out, I was just wondering if this is the usual way to deal with that
    search type, or whether there were good reasons when creating it to still
    ignore the ignore words

    My thoughts being that when giving the user an option 'exact phrase' they
    may believe that every word they enter would be used etc - I seem to
    remember reading something on the Google webby about Google and it saying
    how it ignored the ignore words contained within the " " etc - so obviously
    Google / ASPFAQ are similar in the approach - I'm not trying to re-invent
    the wheel or anything it just struck me as a little odd at the time.

    Anyone got any thoughts on this, ie, should I still remove the ignore words
    from the search criteria on an 'exact phrase' search or not.

    Thanks in advance for any help (nearly finished this now - yay!)...

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Feb 16, 2004

  2. > I was just running through some code I was writing for a site and when it
    > came to the 'exact phrase' search type I wasn't sure whether that should

    run
    > through and ignore the words in the ignore list or not.
    >
    > I ran off and checked your ASPFAQ webby and I notice that Aaron still

    strips
    > them out

    Not anymore, you make a great point.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" wrote ...

    > Not anymore, you make a great point.

    Seriously? So you no longer disregard the words in the ignore word array
    after the submission of the search criteria for the 'exact phrase' ?

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Feb 17, 2004
  4. > Seriously? So you no longer disregard the words in the ignore word array
    > after the submission of the search criteria for the 'exact phrase' ?

    Did you try it?
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" wrote ...

    > Did you try it?

    Funnily enough I did after I saw your post....I never feel that my
    suggestions/comments here are always much use...was quite surprised when
    you'd mentioned you'd changed it as I wasn't suggesting really that it
    should be, only querying that that was the right way to do it for what I was
    doing :eek:)

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Feb 18, 2004
  6. > I never feel that my
    > suggestions/comments here are always much use

    Just remember that you don't have to be a guru to provide valuable feedback.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP
    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Feb 21, 2004
  7. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...

    > Just remember that you don't have to be a guru to provide valuable

    feedback.

    :eek:)

    Cheers Aaron..

    Rob