Searching hints for a web-app

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Enrico Fichtner, Jan 25, 2008.

  1. Hi folks,

    I don't if this is the right newsgroup for that question, if not pls.
    could someone guide me to the right one ;)

    In my home, I have a computer sitting in the basement controlling all
    kinds of consumers in our house (lights, outlets - e.g. for TV, heater
    and so on). The switches in the walls do not switch the power, they just
    send singnals to the computer and that eventually (through a
    self-written program) turn on the consumers.
    For that scenario I have also written a neat client application (C++)
    that shows on different tabs the top view for each floor (and the
    garage) - on those vies you can see all the different consumers (like
    bulbs or outlets) as icons. Clicking on them turns the consumer on/off -
    it reflects the state of the consumer by using different icons (bulb on,
    bulb off). The client is connected through CORBA with the server.
    What I would like to do is, to come up with a web-based solution equal
    to that client. I think plain html drops out because it can not be
    notified when a consumer changes its state. The only two possibilities I
    can think of would be using Java-Applets or a flash animation. With the
    latter one I have no experience whatsoever, it is just a (uneducated)
    guess.

    Anyone who could lend a hand on this project?

    BTW: I could easely integrate a web server into the controller or run
    Apache on the same machine.

    Thanks!

    Enrico Fichtner, Jan 25, 2008

  2. Enrico Fichtner

    Guest

    On Jan 25, 4:17 am, Enrico Fichtner <> wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I don't if this is the right newsgroup for that question, if not pls.
    > could someone guide me to the right one ;)
    >
    > In my home, I have a computer sitting in the basement controlling all
    > kinds of consumers in our house (lights, outlets - e.g. for TV, heater
    > and so on). The switches in the walls do not switch the power, they just
    > send singnals to the computer and that eventually (through a
    > self-written program) turn on the consumers.
    > For that scenario I have also written a neat client application (C++)
    > that shows on different tabs the top view for each floor (and the
    > garage) - on those vies you can see all the different consumers (like
    > bulbs or outlets) as icons. Clicking on them turns the consumer on/off -
    > it reflects the state of the consumer by using different icons (bulb on,
    > bulb off). The client is connected through CORBA with the server.
    > What I would like to do is, to come up with a web-based solution equal
    > to that client. I think plain html drops out because it can not be
    > notified when a consumer changes its state. The only two possibilities I
    > can think of would be using Java-Applets or a flash animation. With the
    > latter one I have no experience whatsoever, it is just a (uneducated)
    > guess.
    >
    > Anyone who could lend a hand on this project?
    >
    > BTW: I could easely integrate a web server into the controller or run
    > Apache on the same machine.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Since you are already familiar with C++, I believe asp.net would be
    the best way to go. Do you already have Microsoft Visual?

    Daniel

    http://a-ok-site.com

    , Jan 26, 2008