securing PDF files (among others)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JAG, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. JAG

    JAG Guest

    I am using the Treeview webcontrol on a .aspx page to display files
    that are in a specified subdirectory off of wwwroot. I have
    implemented Forms Authentication, and currently the user must accept
    the disclaimer prior to being redirected to the Treeview webcontrol
    page.

    I am ultimately wanting to show the disclaimer page each time the page
    containing the Treeview webcontrol is requested. For example, if a
    file is accessed directly from the URL of the file (subdirectory) they
    are redirected to the disclaimer page, and after accepting are sent
    the originally requested file.

    I've got this working to the point that if the Treeview page is
    accessed directly, the disclaimer page displays where you must accept
    before continuing. I can't get the redirect when a file from the
    Treeview webcontrol is directly requested by URL. Right now the file
    is served as requested.

    I tried mapping the file extension to ASP.NET ISAPI DLL in IIS but
    that didn't make a difference. I also tried adding a separate
    web.config (which simply had my authorization block) to the
    subdirectory and that didn't work.

    Am I missing something obvious here, or am I asking too much from
    Forms Authentication? Is there no solution to this problem?

    Thanks.
    JAG, Feb 2, 2007