Security or What?

bob

Hi,

VS2008 IDE running on Winserver 2003 running IIS
ASP.net one page project. Target Framework 2.0
Constructed by me, a newbie to web development.

Published it a to local directory then copied across network to
production server.
Web Browser opens page OK from Production Server but there are some
issues so I figured I would retreat and access it on the Development
machine web site.

Using IIS manager Made a virtual directory under the default web site
and pointed it at the publish directory

Here the wheels fall off.

The Web browser complains of Parser errors (unknown attributes).
e.g. in the sectionGroup it complained about the type attribute.
<sectionGroup name="applicationSettings"
type="System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup, System,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">

Slowly we move down the Web.config removing what appear to be default
attributes it is not happy with.
Finally it fails with
Could not load type 'EasyVend0rClient.VendClient'. which is the code
class for the page
and displays
Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"
CodeBehind="VendClient.aspx.cs" Inherits="EasyVend0rClient.VendClient"
%>
in Red Text.

It seems to be a difference between the two IIS but I haven't a clue
as to how to fix this or even if that is the problem.

I just want to be able to step down the path of :
Running under ASP.NET Development server -> Access from local IIS site
-> Access from Production site.

thanks
Bob

Guest

[...]

Check what version of ASP.NET is configured on IIS. Try to reinstall
it using aspnet_regiis

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k6h9cz8h(VS.80).aspx

bob

Check what version of ASP.NET is configured on IIS. Try to reinstall
it using aspnet_regiis

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k6h9cz8h(VS.80).aspx

Hi Alexey,
I think you were right. It was at Version 1.1...
Now however I get an Error in the Application Event log
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

I googled it and it indicated to give full control to User ASPNET over
Winnt\FrameWork\Temporary ASP.Net Files
I went one step further and gave full control to Framework directory.
Ran aspnet_regiis - I

no difference.
At least now it is totally broken.

Thanks
Bob

Guest

Hi Alexey,
I think you were right. It was at Version 1.1...
Now however I get an Error in the Application Event log
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

I googled it and it indicated to give full control to User ASPNET over
Winnt\FrameWork\Temporary ASP.Net Files
I went one step further and gave full control to Framework directory.
Ran aspnet_regiis - I

 no difference.
At least now it is totally broken.

Thanks
Bob

Bob,

make sure that the ASPNET user is not locked out. If it's not, then I
would run aspnet_regiis -u (to uninstall), restart iis (iisreset from
the command prompt) and run spnet_regiis -i again. Note, you need to
do it from v2.0 directory to apply asp.net. You can also try to set
permissions in IIS again (website - properties - tasks - permission
wizard).

Hope this helps

bob

Bob,

make sure that the ASPNET user is not locked out. If it's not, then I
would run aspnet_regiis -u (to uninstall), restart iis (iisreset from
the command prompt) and run spnet_regiis -i again. Note, you need to
do it from v2.0 directory to apply asp.net. You can also try to set
permissions in IIS again (website - properties - tasks - permission
wizard).

Hope this helps

Hi Alexey,
I neglected to tell you that the development machine is a domain
controller.
Turns out you have to modify the machine.config file processModel
element. I took the easy way and set userName attribute to SYSTEM
Thanks again for your efforts.
regards
Bob

Guest

Hi Alexey,
I neglected to tell you that the  development machine is a domain
controller.
Turns out you have to modify the machine.config file processModel
element. I took the easy way and set userName attribute to SYSTEM
Thanks again for your efforts.
regards
Bob

Okay, that was the problem! On a domain controller, all user accounts
are domain accounts and are not local machine accounts. Therefore,
Aspnet_wp.exe fails to start because it cannot find a local account
named "localmachinename\ASPNET".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315158

Glad it works now,