Segmentation fault when running Rails on Windows Server 2008

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Arrix, Aug 15, 2008.

  1. Arrix

    Arrix Guest

    I am trying to run Ruby on Rails 2.1 with Webrick on Windows Server 2008.
    The server can start properly, but the ruby interpreter crashes after making
    several requests([BUG] Segmentation fault).

    Has anyone experienced similar problems?

    I guess it may have something to do with the address space layout
    randomization feature of Server 2008, which is the only relevant difference
    I can think of between Vista and Server 2008.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/Fwiki/FAddress_space_layout_randomization

    My ruby version: ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-mswin32]
    1.8.7 p72 has the same problem.

    Here is the problem details displayed by windows:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: ruby.exe
    Application Version: 1.8.6.0
    Application Timestamp: 48a0d73f
    Fault Module Name: msvcrt-ruby18.dll
    Fault Module Version: 1.8.6.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 48a0d73e
    Exception Code: 40000015
    Exception Offset: 000267f4
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.274.10
    Locale ID: 2052
    Additional Information 1: 098b
    Additional Information 2: 47c870d699be79dff40eb676512ccda0
    Additional Information 3: cf8c
    Additional Information 4: f51b2f0fb11b8474eb213ea63188c4f8

    Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

    --
    Arrix

    Arrix, Aug 15, 2008

  2. Arrix

    Roger Pack Guest

    Re: Segmentation fault when running Rails on Windows Server

    Arrix wrote:
    > I am trying to run Ruby on Rails 2.1 with Webrick on Windows Server
    > 2008.
    > The server can start properly, but the ruby interpreter crashes after
    > making
    > several requests([BUG] Segmentation fault).
    >
    > Has anyone experienced similar problems?

    If you get truly desperate and have some free time on your hands, you
    could try building the mingw version of ruby [with the -g passed in so
    that it has debug symbols] then run it under mingw gdb. Then at least
    you can have a fighting chance of finding out where the error is
    occurring. I haven't run into it, no.
    -=R
    [1]
    http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/26/still-playing-with-ruby-on-windows