Selecting and Highlighting Multiple Rows in a DataGrid

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bob Loveshade, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. I am looking for an example that shows how to select and highlight
    multiple rows in a DataGrid.

    My DataGrid is part of a Web User Control which is contained in an ASPX
    page.

    I haven't been able to find any examples which demonstrate how to do
    this.

    My Code:

    The ASPX Page

    <%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="WebForm1.aspx.cs"
    AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="TestMultiSelect.WebForm1" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="WebUserControl1"
    Src="WebUserControl1.ascx" %>
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <title>WebForm1</title>
    Studio .NET 7.1">
    content="JavaScript">
    </HEAD>
    <uc1:WebUserControl1 id="WebUserControl11"
    runat="server"></uc1:WebUserControl1>
    </form>
    </HTML>

    Code Behind for ASPX page

    using System;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Drawing;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.SessionState;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
    using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

    namespace TestMultiSelect
    {
    /// <summary>
    /// Summary description for WebForm1.
    /// </summary>
    private void Page_Load(object sender,
    System.EventArgs e)

    //
    // CODEGEN: This call is required by the ASP.NET Web
    // Form
    // Designer.
    InitializeComponent();
    base.OnInit(e);
    }

    /// <summary>
    /// </summary>
    private void InitializeComponent()

    #endregion

    Web User Control

    <%@ Control Language="c#" AutoEventWireup="false"
    Codebehind="WebUserControl1.ascx.cs"
    Inherits="TestMultiSelect.WebUserControl1"
    TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5"%>
    <TABLE id="Table1" cellSpacing="1" cellPadding="1" width="300"
    border="1">
    <TR>
    <TD colSpan="3">
    200px"><asp:datagrid id="DataGrid1" style="Z-
    INDEX: 102;
    LEFT: 24px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 32px"
    Height="120px"
    runat="server"></asp:datagrid></div>
    </TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TD></TD>
    <TD align="center">
    <asp:Button ID="CloseButton" runat="server"
    Width="99px"
    Text="Close"></asp:Button>
    </TD>
    <TD></TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>

    Web User Control - Code Behind

    namespace TestMultiSelect
    {
    using System;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Data.SqlClient;
    using System.Drawing;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.SessionState;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
    using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

    /// <summary>
    /// Summary description for WebUserControl1.
    /// </summary>
    public class WebUserControl1 : System.Web.UI.UserControl
    {
    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid
    DataGrid1;
    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
    CloseButton;
    SqlConnection myConnection;

    private void Page_Load(object sender,
    System.EventArgs e)
    {
    myConnection = new SqlConnection
    ("Server=localhost;uid=sa;pwd=preview;database=pubs");

    if(!IsPostBack)
    BindGrid();
    }

    public void BindGrid()
    {
    SqlDataAdapter dAdapter = new SqlDataAdapter
    ("SELECT au_id,
    au_fname, au_lname FROM authors ",
    myConnection);
    DataSet dSet= new DataSet();
    dAdapter.Fill(dSet, "authors");

    DataGrid1.DataSource = dSet.Tables
    ["authors"].DefaultView;
    DataGrid1.DataBind();

    //
    // CODEGEN: This call is required by the ASP.NET
    // Web Form
    // Designer.
    InitializeComponent();
    base.OnInit(e);
    }

    /// <summary>
    /// Required method for Designer support - do not
    /// modify
    /// the contents of this method with the code
    /// editor.
    /// </summary>
    private void InitializeComponent()
    {
    this.Load += new System.EventHandler
    (this.Page_Load);

    }
    #endregion

    I want to select the au_fname and au_lname fields (which I am going to
    concatenate). The Web User Control has a Button which, when clicked,
    should pass the selections to the calling page (a simple HTML page).
    Clicking the button should also close the .ASPX page, and refresh the
    calling page.

    Is what I am trying to do reasonable, or is there a better approach? I
    am a bit out of my depth here, and would really appreciate any kind of
    help, especially code snippets.

    Thanks!

    Bob Loveshade, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Bob Loveshade

    Venkat_KL Guest

    Hi Dear Bob Loveshade,

    Why don't you achieve the same thing by CheckBox Select Multiple Rows
    Column

    here are some good articles

    1. HOW TO: Loop Through and Examine CheckBox Control Values in a
    DataGrid Column by Using ASP.NET and Visual C# .NET

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320707

    2. HOW TO: Loop Through and Examine CheckBox Control Values in a
    DataGrid Column by Using ASP.NET and Visual Basic .NET

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321881

    3. DataGrid CheckBox Select Multiple Rows Column
    By Noman Nadeem

    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/dgcheckboxcolumn.asp

    4. Selecting multiple checkboxes in a DataGrid control
    By azamsharp

    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/datagridCheckboxes.asp

    5. Selecting, Confirming & Deleting Multiple Checkbox Items In A
    DataGrid (i.e. HotMail & Yahoo)

    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/Tutorial/17F2328F-ECB8-478F-A393-3D0E0F024E
    C0.dcik

    bye
    venkat_kl

    For Anything and Everything, Please Let Me Know

    --
    Sent via .NET Newsgroups
    http://www.dotnetnewsgroups.com

    Venkat_KL, Nov 19, 2005