Sending mail through Hotmail from DotNet

dgk

I looked around for Sending Email hints and found quite a few, but I
don't see how to do it with a hotmail account or anything where I have
to logon. I'm willing to send them through the server, in fact I want
to send about a hundred copies of the same mail to a membership list.

What I don't see in the MailMessage or SmtpMail (static I guess)
object is any properties for an account and password. Any pointers on
where to look is greatly appreciated.

Bruce Barker

hotmail does not support smtp, so you can not the asp.net mail class.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

dgk

MailMessage Message = new MailMessage();

Message.Fields["http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthentic
ate"] = 1;

Message.Fields["http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername"
] = strUserName;

Message.Fields["http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword"
] = strPassword;

dgk said:
I looked around for Sending Email hints and found quite a few, but I
don't see how to do it with a hotmail account or anything where I have
to logon. I'm willing to send them through the server, in fact I want
to send about a hundred copies of the same mail to a membership list.

What I don't see in the MailMessage or SmtpMail (static I guess)
object is any properties for an account and password. Any pointers on
where to look is greatly appreciated.

Excuse me? (scurries around the net trying to figure out what this
is). Oh my, you aren't kidding. Those really are literals!

http://objectsharp.com/Blogs/bruce/archive/2005/03/03/1465.aspx

Not that I doubted you for a minute. Nice to see that my instincts
were right but the solution was weird.

dgk

hotmail does not support smtp, so you can not the asp.net mail class.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Bummer. Who does? Yahoo? Perhaps with additional money. Google? A
quick look says nothing about SMTP. Maybe I can use my Road Runner
account. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

S Krupa Shankar Subramanian via DotNetMonster.com

Hi DGK,

Gmail gives POP3 and SMTP support... just it is that it is not the usual
SMTP (25) and POP3 (110) ports.

More info at the Settings/configuring gmail in outlook express article in
the help section in Gmail.

Krupa

dgk

Hi DGK,

Gmail gives POP3 and SMTP support... just it is that it is not the usual
SMTP (25) and POP3 (110) ports.

More info at the Settings/configuring gmail in outlook express article in
the help section in Gmail.

Krupa

Thanks. I enabled my roadrunner account and I'll likely just go with
that.