Sending Mail Without Use of Module or Sendmail

Gratemyl

The solution is not as trivial and obvious as you suggest - I did
consider making use of the Net::DNS code before posting, but te code
makes heavy use of modules such as IO::Socket. Replacing that part of
the code with native calls is possible but difficult - so if there is
an easier option...

Yours,

Gratemyl

axel

Gratemyl said:
The solution is not as trivial and obvious as you suggest - I did

[snip]

Please quote some context when you reply to postings, otherwise it is
not obvious to whom or about what in particular you are replying. The
regularly posted Guidelines for this group explain posting etiquette in
detail.

Axel

Gratemyl

My apologies for this inconvenience - the "Reply" feature in Google
Groups does not automatically include quoted text.

I will include quoted text in further postings.

Yours,

Gratemyl

Gratemyl

Please quote some context when you reply to postings, otherwise it is

Here are the last three posts with quotes:

BEGIN
In that case, the solution is trivial and obvious.
Copy-and-paste the contents of Net::DNS into your source code.
-Joe
The solution is not as trivial and obvious as you suggest - I did
consider making use of the Net::DNS code before posting, but te code
makes heavy use of modules such as IO::Socket. Replacing that part of
the code with native calls is possible but difficult - so if there is
an easier option...
END

BEGIN
If you're not allow to use modules, perhaps you would consider calling
nslookup in your Perl script.
If I call nslookup, I am dependant upon an external script...but
thanks
anyway.
END

BEGIN
What makes you assume that the recipient's SMTP server is configured to
relay a message from your program?
The receipient's SMTP does not need to RELAY mail for me, only RECEIVE
the mail - and deliver it to a local mailbox
END

Yours,

Gratemyl

Big and Blue

Gratemyl said:
I did
consider making use of the Net::DNS code before posting, but te code
makes heavy use of modules such as IO::Socket. Replacing that part of
the code with native calls is possible but difficult

IO::Socket is part of the core Perl (IIRC). So if it isn't there you
woudl seem to be running on a system with no INET Sockets, in which case
SMTP (at least over TCP/IP, which is what I expect your recipient is using)
isn't going to work anyway.

Gratemyl

Big said:
IO::Socket is part of the core Perl (IIRC). So if it isn't there you
woudl seem to be running on a system with no INET Sockets, in which case
SMTP (at least over TCP/IP, which is what I expect your recipient is using)
isn't going to work anyway.

Not true - for some obscure reason, the module may not be existant on a
perl installation. It may have been removed, for example...

I don't quite understand the point in the assignment anyway, but those
are the requirements.

Yours,

Gratemyl