Serialization across languages?

Tobiah

I want to do SOAP like calls from a device who's libraries
don't include SOAP. I'm thinking of using simple HTTP posts,
but I'm going to want to send arrays and hashes.

First, what do I need to be aware of when sending arbitrary
data by a POST, and Second, is there a universally supported
version of what python can do with pickle? I mostly need
python and PHP, but perl would be nice too.

Thanks,

Toby

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

First, what do I need to be aware of when sending arbitrary
data by a POST, and Second, is there a universally supported
version of what python can do with pickle? I mostly need
python and PHP, but perl would be nice too.

You might want to use WDDX. There are WDDX libraries for Python,
PHP, and Perl.

Regards,
Martin

Simon Brunning

I want to do SOAP like calls from a device who's libraries
don't include SOAP. I'm thinking of using simple HTTP posts,
but I'm going to want to send arrays and hashes.

First, what do I need to be aware of when sending arbitrary
data by a POST, and Second, is there a universally supported
version of what python can do with pickle? I mostly need
python and PHP, but perl would be nice too.

JSON might be worth a look. There are libraries available for loads of
languages, and it's fairly human readable to boot.

--
Cheers,
Simon B.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Tobiah a écrit :
I want to do SOAP like calls from a device who's libraries
don't include SOAP. I'm thinking of using simple HTTP posts,
but I'm going to want to send arrays and hashes.

Then I'd second Simon's suggestion to use JSON.