Serialize/Send a recordset content through network

M. Simioni

Hi, the scenario should be like this:

I have a "Server" application, and a UserControl running on an asp.net page.
The UserControl sends a SQL Query string via UDP to the Server (after some
sort of authentication, etc etc)
The Server Application executes the query on his local SQL2k server
The Server Application gets the recordset returned by query execution
Then the server application sends to the UserControl the recordset returned
by the query execution

Could this be done? Like using a sort of Serialization of the SQLDataReader?
Or should i use another tecnique?

My target is to avoid opening the SQLServer directly to the public internet,
but to redirect all the queryes to my application, using some sort of
authentication and encryption.

I'm nearly new to .net framework so i'm discovering new things every day.

Thanx a lot for the help, and for any link that will be useful

Marco

David Lloyd

Marco:

The scenario you describe sounds very much like a case where you would use a
web service. Since web services already use XML and SOAP, you will have the
serialization in the format you require.

--
David Lloyd
MCSD .NET

This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties.

M. Simioni

Well, i forgot to mention, but i also need to fire events from the server
application to the user control.
The goal of the server application isn't only to be a 'forwarder' of sql
query commands from clients to db, but also should fire events to client
when something happens (like packets received from the rs232 located on the
server).
I planned to use an exchange of UDP message between the 'server application'
and the user control to exchange events (from srvr -> client) and sql
queryes (from client->srvr). But i couldn't realize how to exchange sql
resulting recordsets.
Can i do this with web services too? or should i split the two tasks in
a) a server application that send udp messages to 'clients'
b) a web service that the 'clients' use to query the database

sorry for my bad english :)

Marco

Cor Ligthert

Marco,

You never can sent something to a client. Therefore is to much protected.
You can communicate with a client when he has on the other side a program
that accept what you sent.

I think as well that the suggestion from David can maybe be a good solution
for you. We can never see from this newsgroup if it real fits. Have a look
at this pages.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...atingDistributedWebApplicationWalkthrough.asp

I expect however as well, that trying to reach your goall with a recordset
can be much harder than using the ADONET components.

I hope this helps,

Cor