Serious cache problem - Page_Load get never get called !!!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ryan Park, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Ryan Park

    Ryan Park Guest

    Hi,

    I got a asp.net page that stores session variable.

    This page gets input parameter by QueryString and this variable stored
    into session variable.

    Asp.net page works in normal navigation scenario.

    Then I bookmarked this url to my favorites and call this url by
    clicking favorites link.

    When in this situation, at initial time Page_Load() of my asp.net gets
    called but after first time, page never get called by clicking
    favorites link.

    I guess maybe IE caches the link and read it when user clicks from
    favorite link.

    I've tried below codes only to fail to call Page_Load(). All of them
    failed.

    Response.Expires = 0;
    Response.Cache.SetNoStore();
    Response.AppendHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");

    Navigating my asp.net pages by favorites link is very possible user
    scenario.

    This is unavoidable.

    How can I always ensure IE to read URL from Web Server not from cache
    when user clicks favorites link?

    Any suggestion will be appreciated. TIA. :)

    Regards,
    Ryan

    Ryan Park, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Appending the header doesn't necessarily tell the browser not to cache the
    page. For that, your best bet is to include the appropriate meta tag: <META
    HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">. Using the meta tag may help catch
    more browsers than just the response header alone.

    You might also try using a Response.Flush() right after you send the pragma
    header. I've seen that help in some instances.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Ryan Park

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Mark Fitzpatrick wrote:
    > Appending the header doesn't necessarily tell the browser not to
    > cache the page.

    That's correct -- the HTTP spec distinguishes between caches and histories.
    For histories, Cache-Control and such do not apply.

    > For that, your best bet is to include the appropriate
    > meta tag: <META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">. Using the
    > meta tag may help catch more browsers than just the response header
    > alone.

    But only if the browser's HTTP implementation stinks. Out of curiosity: Can
    you name any modern browser for which a META tag works, but a HTTP header
    doesn't?

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss