Serious cache problem - Page_Load get never get called !!!

Ryan Park

Hi,

I got a asp.net page that stores session variable.

This page gets input parameter by QueryString and this variable stored
into session variable.

Asp.net page works in normal navigation scenario.

Then I bookmarked this url to my favorites and call this url by
clicking favorites link.

When in this situation, at initial time Page_Load() of my asp.net gets
called but after first time, page never get called by clicking
favorites link.

I guess maybe IE caches the link and read it when user clicks from
favorite link.

I've tried below codes only to fail to call Page_Load(). All of them
failed.

Response.Expires = 0;
Response.Cache.SetNoStore();
Response.AppendHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");

Navigating my asp.net pages by favorites link is very possible user
scenario.

This is unavoidable.

How can I always ensure IE to read URL from Web Server not from cache
when user clicks favorites link?

Any suggestion will be appreciated. TIA. :)

Regards,
Ryan

Mark Fitzpatrick

Appending the header doesn't necessarily tell the browser not to cache the
page. For that, your best bet is to include the appropriate meta tag: <META
HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">. Using the meta tag may help catch
more browsers than just the response header alone.

You might also try using a Response.Flush() right after you send the pragma
header. I've seen that help in some instances.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Joerg Jooss

Mark said:
Appending the header doesn't necessarily tell the browser not to
cache the page.

That's correct -- the HTTP spec distinguishes between caches and histories.
For histories, Cache-Control and such do not apply.
For that, your best bet is to include the appropriate
meta tag: <META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">. Using the
meta tag may help catch more browsers than just the response header
alone.

But only if the browser's HTTP implementation stinks. Out of curiosity: Can
you name any modern browser for which a META tag works, but a HTTP header
doesn't?

Cheers,