Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail") Problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by MichaelK, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. MichaelK

    MichaelK Guest

    What do I need to do to enable CDONTS om my macine to make it working

    I'm testing the code:

    Dim objCDO
    Set objCDO = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    objCDO.To = ""
    objCDO.From = ""
    objCDO.Subject = "TESST CDONTS MAIL"
    objCDO.Body = "SOME TEXT TO SEND OVER"
    objCDO.Send
    Set objCDO = Nothing

    It gives me an error after Set objCDO =
    Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    Server object, ASP 0177 (0x800401F3)
    Invalid class string

    MichaelK, Jan 9, 2006

  2. MichaelK

    Guest

    Here's a nice CDO link even if you don't use the attachment part:
    Email (with Attachment)
    http://www.asp101.com/samples/email_attach.asp

    And CDO is generally used instead of CDONTS on IIS 5 and after
    (actually the SMTP service within IIS) which is generally on servers
    after Win NT4 (although I think CDONTS is sometimes still supported
    too).

    Best regards,
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    http://www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

    , Jan 9, 2006

  3. and this example shows many ways of using cdosys instead of just using the
    smtp pickup from the smtp server which might not be running

    http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/sending_email_cdosys.asp

    Kyle Peterson, Jan 10, 2006
  4. MichaelK

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:06:53 -0800, "MichaelK" <>
    wrote:

    >What do I need to do to enable CDONTS om my macine to make it working
    >
    >I'm testing the code:
    >
    > Dim objCDO
    > Set objCDO = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    > objCDO.To = ""
    > objCDO.From = ""
    > objCDO.Subject = "TESST CDONTS MAIL"
    > objCDO.Body = "SOME TEXT TO SEND OVER"
    > objCDO.Send
    > Set objCDO = Nothing
    >
    >It gives me an error after Set objCDO =
    >Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    >Server object, ASP 0177 (0x800401F3)
    >Invalid class string

    1) USE CDO, CDONTS is deprecated.

    2) CDONTS doesn't exist on Server 2003

    3) See: http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/112298-1.shtml

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 10, 2006
  5. MichaelK

    MichaelK Guest

    Thanks Kyle.
    This is a good one, I'm talking about method 3 on this page.

    All others suggested samples didn't work for me by some reason.
    Michael

    MichaelK, Jan 10, 2006
  6. your welcome, in my opinion that is one of the better CDOSYS articles
    available on the web...
    to the point and shows some different examples of various emailing sending
    methods with CDOSYS

    CDOSYS is very flexible..

    Kyle Peterson, Jan 10, 2006