Server error in blank webservice

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Hello all,

I don't know what to do anymore, I thought I was not coding my stuff
correctly, but I am having problems with Visual Studio it seems. When I
create a new webservice on my local machine, remove the comments around the
Hello World service and build it, everything works fine. Then, when I do the
same on a remote server, it gives me the error message below.

One thing I noticed is that I have to open the new project on the remote
machine using frontpage server extensions. Other than that, I am not doing
anything differently on my local machine than I am doing on the server. Does
anyone have a solution for this problem?

Here's the error message:
Server Error in '/MyTest' Application.
----

Parser Error

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'MyTest.Global'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
Inherits="MyTest.Global" %>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyTest\global.asax Line: 1

Munsifali Rashid

Have you checked that the "bin" folder exists in the
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyTest folder, and that the ASPNET user has access to it?
It might be easier to test things by manually FTP'ing your webservice files
to the server rather than using frontpage server extensions.

Mun

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Do you mean develop this project on my local machine and when it's built
copying it to the server? That may work for this particular project, but at
some point we'll be working on things in a team, so this should be resolved
at some point.

All folders exist on the server by the way, and the dll is created. I tried
deleting the dll and rebuilding the project, but it still didn't work.

Is there maybe a setting that I can change on the server so it lets me just
create the solution there?

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Alright, I just got off the phone with MS support and they were able to
solve this for me. It turned out that a line was missing from my
machine.config file in the Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG folder.
In this file, a statement must be there that says <add assembly="*"/>, which
makes the framework look in the bin folder of this particular project when
it creates an instance of the application (or something to that effect).

Just thought I'd share that with you. Thanks for your time.
Daniel.

Munsifali Rashid

Hmm, interesting. I would've thought that Visual Studio would automatically
add this information, or that it would be a default setting in
machine.config, to use the assemblies in the bin folder.

Good to hear you got it sorted out though :)

Mun

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

I suspect that this was removed during installation of Microsoft CRM, which
is a security (and any other type) hell for developers. I've been having all
sorts of weird errors on my server ever since we installed it.