Server object, ASP 0177 (0x800401F3)

gregfocker

OK, the ProgID is correct. The .dll is registered. This is a
permission issue. I can create objects when I disable anonymous access
on the Web site in IIS (Win XP Pro). And I've given IUSR_<MachineName>
pemissions all over the place (registry, files, folders, etc.)! Still
can't create the objects with anonymous access enabled.

It's not a problem on another XP Pro machine, but I can figure out the
difference. Someone said to use dcomcnfg.exe, but the steps I was
given don't seem to apply to my OS (likely they were for Win2K).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

gregfocker

Anyone? Man, this is driving nuts (and killing valueable development
time)! Thanks.

Patrice

What do you do ? What is the exact message ? How do you have given this
account all those rights ?

You could try perhaps try with the "component manager" that allows to run
just the DLL under a particular identity...

gregfocker

Patrice said:
What do you do ? What is the exact message ? How do you have given this
account all those rights ?

You could try perhaps try with the "component manager" that allows to run
just the DLL under a particular identity...

Thanks for the reply. All I'm doing is:

Set obj = Server.CreateObject("object.progid")

and I get the error. It used to work until I had to rebuild the .dll.
I also get Server.CreateObject errors when trying to instantiate other
ActiveX objects/3rd party COM components w/anonymous access enabled. I
don't have this problem on another machine, so there appears to be some
type of permission issue, specifically with ISR_<machinename>.

Are you talking about DCOMCNFG.EXE? I'm using Windows XP Pro. Can you
or anyone else step me through this to enable whatever I need to for
the ISR_<machinename> account?

Patrice

Have you tried to register again the DLL ? (regsvr32).

The easisest way to test a permission issue whould be liekly to add the IUSR
account to the local admin group.

Of course remove it then. If this is really a permission issue you could use
"Component services" that is in the "admin tools". Here you can create a new
"COM+ Application". The identity tab allows to run all components under a
particular identity. Then you can register the DLL below this COM+
application.

As a result the DLL will run under the specified identity.

As it works on another machine wihtout doing this, I would rather thought of
some kind of registration problem (or a missing dependencty ?)...

gregfocker

I added the IUSR_<machinename> account to the admin group, but still
doesn't work. It did work when I used anonymous access with an admin
account instead of IUSR_<machinename>. This is not a problem on
another machine, and it wasn't a problem on this machine until
recently, so something happened.