Server side functionality

Reetu

Hi All,

I have an html button on .aspx page.

<INPUT class="sbttn" id="btnComplete0" onclick="onComplete
()" type="button" value="Mark Completed"
name="btnComplete0">

When the user clicks on the html button the OnComplete
function is called.

<script language="javascript">
function onComplete()
{

// Client side code

// Clicking the server control via code
WorkItemForm.btnComplete.click();

}
</script>

I need to perform some server side functinality whenever
user clicks the html button. So I place a hidden server
control (id = btnComplete) on the .aspx page. In the
client side code I automatically click the server control
( WorkItemForm.btnComplete.click();).

On the click event of hidden server control, I write the
server side code in .aspx.cs page.

// Code in .aspx.cs page

private void btnComplete_Click(object sender,
System.EventArgs e)
{
// Calling Server Side Code
}

I am using btnComplete server control as an intermediate
to perform server side functionality.

Problem:

I want to get rid of server control.
Is there a way to perform server side functionality
directly without using server control.

I tried document.FormName.Submit();

This doesn't work. Is there some other way to do so?

Thanks & Regards,
-Reetu

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Reetu,

Here's some VB code that might help you. It uses the submit() method. Not sure
why it didn't work for you.

Private Sub Page_Load _
(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _
Handles MyBase.Load
Literal1.Text = "<script>function
onCompleted(){alert('action');document.forms[0].submit();}</script>"
If IsPostBack Then
Label2.Text = "I was posted back at: " & Now.TimeOfDay.ToString
End If
End Sub

<asp:textbox id="TextBox1" runat="server"></asp:textbox></p>
<asp:label id="Label2" runat="server"></asp:label></p>
<asp:label id="Label1" runat="server"></asp:label></p>
<asp:literal id="Literal1" runat="server"></asp:literal></p>
<input class="sbttn" id="btnComplete0" onclick="onCompleted()"
type="button" value="Mark Completed"
name="btnComplete0">
</form>

[...]

Ram

When your page is loaded, checl the HTML source of your page. Your
hidden button will not be rendered at all.

Instead, you can convert your button to a aspx button and add
Javascript event to it from the code behind using

Add this line of code to your page load event.
ButtonName.Attributes.add("onClick","return onComplete()")

Now when you click on your button it will raise the onclick event on
the client side and will call onComplete Javascript function. Inside
the Javascript if you return false, the form will not be submitted and
the server side event of your button will not fire. If you return
true, form will be submitted to the server and your button's onclick
event will be fired on the server.

Reetu

Thanks a lot, it works.

Regards,
-Reetu
When your page is loaded, checl the HTML source of your page. Your
hidden button will not be rendered at all.

Instead, you can convert your button to a aspx button and add
Javascript event to it from the code behind using

Add this line of code to your page load event.
ButtonName.Attributes.add("onClick","return onComplete()")

Now when you click on your button it will raise the onclick event on
the client side and will call onComplete Javascript function. Inside
the Javascript if you return false, the form will not be submitted and
the server side event of your button will not fire. If you return
true, form will be submitted to the server and your button's onclick
event will be fired on the server.

----
Ram

"Reetu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.