    that does nothing). The server it is on does support SSI.

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Apr 10, 2005

  2. "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I seem to be having a problem with server side includes.
    >
    > Say I have a file called foo.html. For me to use a SSI, I normally just
    > have in it <!-- #include virtual="includes/ssifile.shtml" --> and that has
    > worked in the past (it actually works now, but only through a hack in the
    > apache.conf file on a server, which also seems broken now).

    Rename foo.html to foo.shtml and it should work, if SSI is supported on
    that server.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AxisHOST.com - Serving the web since 1997
    Very Generous Cpanel Hosting & Fully Managed Servers

    Tina - AxisHOST, Inc., Apr 10, 2005

  3. Hi,

    Tina - AxisHOST, Inc. wrote:
    > "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Rename foo.html to foo.shtml and it should work, if SSI is supported on
    > that server.

    www.agilenorth.org.uk/callforpapers-problem.shtml gives the same problem
    as before. I'm assured SSI is on the server.

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Paul F. Johnson

    data64 Guest

    "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote in news:mCb6e.8978
    $:

    > Say I have a file called foo.html. For me to use a SSI, I normally just
    > have in it <!-- #include virtual="includes/ssifile.shtml" --> and that
    > has worked in the past (it actually works now, but only through a hack
    > in the apache.conf file on a server, which also seems broken now).
    >
    > The page causing the problem can be found at
    >
    > http://www.agilenorth.org.uk/callforpapers-problem.html with the non-SSI
    > version being www.agilenorth.org.uk/callforpapers.html

    Try removing the space between <!-- and #include

    data64

    data64, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Hi,

    data64 wrote:

    > Try removing the space between <!-- and #include

    Change the extension to .shtml and remove the space from the <!-- and
    all is well in the world.

    Your starter for 10, why is <!-- # and <!--# treated differently?

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Apr 11, 2005
  6. Paul F. Johnson

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Paul F. Johnson* wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > data64 wrote:
    >>
    >> Try removing the space between <!-- and #include

    > Change the extension to .shtml and remove the space from the <!-- and
    > all is well in the world.
    >
    > Your starter for 10, why is <!-- # and <!--# treated differently?
    >
    > TTFN

    Just a guess with my 2 cent. The <!-- is a "start tag" for a comment
    in html, and the --> is the ending of the same comment. So the whole
    include part from the # to the last " is just a comment that the
    server ignores?

    --
    /Arne

    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.

    Arne, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Paul F. Johnson

    Safalra Guest

    Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    > Change the extension to .shtml and remove the space from the <!-- and

    > all is well in the world.
    >
    > Your starter for 10, why is <!-- # and <!--# treated differently?

    Hmm... if I remember correctly <! indicates the start of a markup
    declaration, and it's -- that delimits the comment. Presumably --# can
    be defined to indicate something else, overriding the normal --? (A
    space after -- isn't required in a comment, is it?)

    --
    Safalra (Stephen Morley)
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

    Safalra, Apr 11, 2005