Server-Side JavaScript in ASP

vunet

I've been developing some sites using VBScript in ASP on the server-
side. I never considered JavaScript to be used on ASP pages. Since
VBScript is a default language and there are so many examples around
it became my major server-side scripting language for smaller
websites.

Due to JavaScript popularity in recent years and its power I want to
reconsider the scripting language of my choice on the server and use
JavaScript for all ASP pages. I wanted to hear if someone is actually
using JavaScript on the server side successfully and finds any
advantages. Or would this be a tougher work due to lack of examples
and tutorials, etc. or anything else?

Just a feedback, please!
Thank you.

Evertjan.

vunet wrote on 16 sep 2009 in comp.lang.javascript:
I've been developing some sites using VBScript in ASP

I stipulate you mean classic ASP.
on the server-side. I never considered JavaScript to be used on ASP
pages.

A pity.
Since VBScript is a default language

If you have access to IIS you can set the default to the language you
prefer.
and there are so many examples around
it became my major server-side scripting language for smaller
websites.

Due to JavaScript popularity in recent years and its power I want to
reconsider the scripting language of my choice on the server and use
JavaScript for all ASP pages.

The power is that you even can use both languages on the same page.

Just use the language you like best.

There are few places where Javascript is easier:

= If you do both serverside and clientside validation,
you can use identical script functions on both sides.

= If you want to know the serverside Local/UTC timezone offset,
VBS cannot help you.

= If you like regex for your string testing and manipulation,
javascript is easier written.
I wanted to hear if someone is actually
using JavaScript on the server side successfully

I know one. Even more than one, but you dit not ask that.
and finds any
advantages. Or would this be a tougher work due to lack of examples
and tutorials, etc. or anything else?

The challenge is the same.

If you programme for your own joy primarily,
wether professionally, or as an amateur,
you should certainly use JS too.
Just a feedback, please!
Thank you.

A nickname would be nice, mr anonimous.

vunet

Thank you. One more thing:
If you programme for your own joy primarily,
wether professionally, or as an amateur,
you should certainly use JS too.

What if I plan to distribute an ASP app to the public and I cannot
know what ASP environment it will be hosted on, then what should I
consider other than specifying the script name on the page? May I run
into any other problems due to switch to JS?
A nickname would be nice, mr anonimous.

Thanks,
Vadym

Evertjan.

vunet wrote on 16 sep 2009 in comp.lang.javascript:
Thank you. One more thing:

What if I plan to distribute an ASP app to the public and I cannot
know what ASP environment it will be hosted on, then what should I
consider other than specifying the script name on the page? May I run
into any other problems due to switch to JS?

"The public" cannot use ASP, only webmasters with access to such sites and
enough knowledge.

You can overcome the default setting by adding:
<%@ Language=JScript %>

Webmasters with serverside experience and script demand will not be
interested in your programmes for the time being, as you still ask these
questions.
A nickname would be nice, mr anonimous.

[please do not quote signatures on usenet, removed]

-TNO-

Another major benefit JScript provides over VBScript is inheritence.

What if I plan to distribute an ASP app to the public and I cannot
know what ASP environment it will be hosted on, then what should I
consider other than specifying the script name on the page? May I run
into any other problems due to switch to JS?

If you don't plan to own and control this code, I would suggest
building a Windows Script Component.

vunet

If you don't plan to own and control this code, I would suggest
building a Windows Script Component.

Thank you. What would Windows Script Component do for me in this case?
Could you give more details? Funny enough I even plan to create a
script which would do automatic updates of the app. Thus the app's
main folder would need to have full "write" permission. Is there a
better way to do it? Evertjan, of course webmasters would need to
install it first.
Thank you all.

-TNO-

Thank you. What would Windows Script Component do for me in this case?
Could you give more details? Funny enough I even plan to create a
script which would do automatic updates of the app. Thus the app's
main folder would need to have full "write" permission. Is there a
better way to do it? Evertjan, of course webmasters would need to
install it first.
Thank you all.

The first few results explain it decently well:

http://www.google.com/search?q=wind...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a