Server Transfer and Back/Refresh...

James Hunter Ross

Apparently, our developers used "server transfer" in our ASP.NET, and
because of this Back/Refresh presses by users are problematic. Apparently
the server has information about state and other things that the browser
does not. The application could get very confused on Back/Refresh presses.

Is the use of "server transfer' just a bad idea for our type of application?
Can we prevent or nullify Back/Refresh presses using javascript? Bad idea?

Any words or links will be greatly appreciated!

James

George Ter-Saakov

Is the use of "server transfer' just a bad idea for our type of
application?
Yes and no. Everything has it's place but mostly you should avoid to use
Server.Transfer just because of those problems.
Can we prevent or nullify Back/Refresh presses using javascript?

Afraid no. The user is in control and it's hard to prevent him doing that.

George.

Joerg Jooss

Thus wrote James,
Apparently, our developers used "server transfer" in our ASP.NET, and
because of this Back/Refresh presses by users are problematic.
Apparently the server has information about state and other things
that the browser does not. The application could get very confused on
Back/Refresh presses.

Is the use of "server transfer' just a bad idea for our type of
application? Can we prevent or nullify Back/Refresh presses using
javascript? Bad idea?

Bad idea. Turn off scripting and... boom.

There's really just one way to fix this: Make your application immune against
these effects, like using Redirect-After-Post or applying synchronizer tokens
in your web forms.

Cheers,