Server variable riddle - extract typed in querystring after url

jason

Could someone help me figure out how to utilize .servervarialbles (or
another creative method) to do the following:

If someone types into browser (or clicks a querystring hyperlink) with the
following....

http://www.boat.com/?cat=CrazyHorse

....* Is it possible to extract the ?cat=Crazyhorse
from the typed in or clicked url when he reaches that root page?

I thought perhaps this could work but no:

CrewedCat = Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING") Response.Write "
" & CrewedCat & "
"