serving XML

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mark J. McGinty, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. A site I regularly work on has, in its web root, a static XML file. This
    XML happens to be an ADO persisted recordset with 0 rows, all of ~3 KB in
    size. (Clients can open it, insert records, and then push the appended
    recordset back to the server for an UpdateBatch, but that's not important to
    this question.)

    Everything works, however, during an analysis of the site's IIS logs, I
    noticed that requests for this static XML have, on occasion, taken as long
    26 seconds to be processed! The thing that's mind-numbing is that we have
    an ASP script that gets requested 2-3 times more often, that, when called
    with a certain parameter (that causes it to return last error details stored
    in the session) has never taken more than a sub-second to process, no matter
    how busy the server is!

    This has led me to wonder if this XML is truly as static as I'd assume, so
    my question is, does an xmlns attribute cause an implicit request, thus
    imposing a dependency on a foreign site? Specifically, does
    "xmlns:rs='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset'" cause an http request to
    schemas.microsoft.com?

    Given that requests for ASP scripts are completing concurrently while a
    request for this static file is being "processed", what could cause this
    tiny little download to lag so badly?

    I'm considering changing the file to an ASP, that sets content type and then
    response.writes the XML from a string buffer, but I can't imagine how that
    could be more efficient. (The server O/S is 2K3/IIS6.)

    tia,
    Mark

    Mark J. McGinty, Oct 16, 2005