Servlet authentication on Tomcat 5.5.7

Fran Cottone

request.getRemoteUser() returns null, therefore, authentication has
not been enabled.

I want to be able to get hold of the Windows 2000 login id of the
person invoking my JSP in their web browser. Given that the version of
Tomcat I am using is running on a Windows 2000 box, I would have
assumed that the web container would have an in-built implementation
of getRemoteUser tailored to returning the Windows login of any one
connecting to it or their netware login.

I have searched, but haven't managed to find a simple means of
enabling this kind of authentication. Surely, this should be a basic
feature of a web server i.e. click a checkbox, or set a property in an
xml file.

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel Rohe

The Sun JDK provides a JAAS module for authentication against an NT machine
(com.sun.security.auth.module.NTLoginModule). With this JAAS login module
you can use the JAASRealm and a JAAS security configuration to authenticate
against user database of the NT machine on which the web server runs.

Daniel