Servlets, send redirect and request scope

Berlin Brown

In a typical (MVC1) application. You have a HTML-FORM posting to
servlet-A and getting request parameters/values from the request
object.

HTML-FORM ==> Servlet-A

If I have to put a redirect in between the form and A. The request
values are lost. Is there a generic way to restore those request
values. I could put all the keys/values in a session object and then
recollect the values in the servlet. But, I wish there was a generic
way that possibly avoided using the session object.

HTML-FORM ==> response?.sendRedirect ==> Servlet-A

Something like response.putRequestValue...

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Berlin said:
In a typical (MVC1) application. You have a HTML-FORM posting to
servlet-A and getting request parameters/values from the request
object.

HTML-FORM ==> Servlet-A

If I have to put a redirect in between the form and A. The request
values are lost. Is there a generic way to restore those request
values. I could put all the keys/values in a session object and then
recollect the values in the servlet. But, I wish there was a generic
way that possibly avoided using the session object.

HTML-FORM ==> response?.sendRedirect ==> Servlet-A

Something like response.putRequestValue...

Why not use forward instead of redirect ?

(that will keep request info)

Arne

Berlin Brown

Yea, but it isnt as clean and not generic. For example, I would have
find every instance of request 'getParameters' that existed at the end
servlet and replace with the session getting code.

I wish there was a way to fill in values in the request object, that
way I wouldnt have to change any code at all.

Chris Smith

Berlin Brown said:
Yea, but it isnt as clean and not generic. For example, I would have
find every instance of request 'getParameters' that existed at the end
servlet and replace with the session getting code.

I wish there was a way to fill in values in the request object, that
way I wouldnt have to change any code at all.

And with a modern servlet spec, there is! You'll still have to get the
new information to the new request somehow. Once it's there, though,
you can set up a servlet filter that builds a wrapped ServletRequest
object and adds parameters and/or request attributes. Google on servlet
filters for details.

Berlin Brown

How would I do that. I know about filters. But what about in this
context.

Would I use the redirect to hit a 'filter'.

Chris Smith

Berlin Brown said:
How would I do that. I know about filters. But what about in this
context.

Would I use the redirect to hit a 'filter'.

Yes. For example, you might use something like this:

1. Set a session attribute before you redirect containing the desired
request attributes and parameters.

2. Install a filter that intercepts all requests.

- If the session attribute doesn't exist, then just pass the request
along the chain without doing anything.

- If the session attribute does exist, then build a wrapped request
that returns the desired attributes and parameters, and pass that
along the chain.

Berlin Brown

What you are saying makes sense, except for the last part. Let me add a
little bit more pseudo code (note I have some of my code in there):

public class TestReconnectServlet extends BaseServlet {
doPost() {

String theKey = request.getParameterKey();
String theValue = request.getParameter(theKey);
Object arr [] = new Object[2];
arr[0] = theKey;
arr[1] = theValue;
session.setValue("mysession.before.redirect", arr);
response.sendRedirect(GoToFilter?);

public class TheFilter implements Filter {
public void doFilter(ServletRequest reqBasic, ServletResponse
respBasic, FilterChain chain) {

HttpServletRequest req = (HttpServletRequest) reqBasic;
HttpServletResponse res = (HttpServletResponse) respBasic;

/// Here ????????? build up the request object?
String key, value = session.getValue(arr);
request .setValue(key, value);

chain.doFilter(req, res);

Hmm, this might actually work?

response.sendRedirect(GoToFilter?);

When I do the redirect, it is to the GoToFilter?

Chris Smith

Berlin Brown said:
/// Here ????????? build up the request object?
String key, value = session.getValue(arr);
request .setValue(key, value);

Check the API docs for javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequestWrapper.
You'd build a subclass of that, and pass it to FilterChain.doFilter in
place of the original ServletRequest.