Session Control

magix8

Hi,

I have a portal with logon session coded in ASP. From the Portal Main
screen, i access to a popup-window screen to do my activity.
Whenever session expired, the popup-window screen will redirect to
logon page, but this is not what I intended Normally when session
expired, and if you click any in the portal main screen, it will
redirect to logon page, and this is fine.

For popup windows screen, what I want is that:
when session expired, it will do following:
- close the pop-up windows, and
- alert user that session expired, redirect to logon page
- redirect the main screen to logon page

Any advise ? or sample or link ? will be appreciated. Thanks.

Magix

Anthony Jones

Hi,

I have a portal with logon session coded in ASP. From the Portal Main
screen, i access to a popup-window screen to do my activity.
Whenever session expired, the popup-window screen will redirect to
logon page, but this is not what I intended Normally when session
expired, and if you click any in the portal main screen, it will
redirect to logon page, and this is fine.

For popup windows screen, what I want is that:
when session expired, it will do following:
- close the pop-up windows, and
- alert user that session expired, redirect to logon page
- redirect the main screen to logon page

Any advise ? or sample or link ? will be appreciated. Thanks.

I can think of no robust solution.

You may be able to name the main window during the logon page load and give
each popup window a name when opening it. During logon page load if the
window it is loading in has a name indicating it is the popup window you
could open the logon window again in with the main window name as a target.

I can't think how you could close existing popups you would need to track
them somehow but I don't know of a remotely reliable way to do this.

Making any of this cross-browser may well be a serious headache as well.

It may be better to seek a way to ensure that any window currently showing
content from your site does something that keeps the session alive, like
refreshing every 5 mins or something like that.