Session management for cgi, ldap, oracle?

Guest

Hi,

I'm looking for session and authentication management, to wit:

1. Prompt the user for a username/pass.
2. Check this against an LDAP server.
3. If OK, start a session. This gives the application the OK to log
into Oracle using a hardcoded username/pass.
4. Maintain the user's session across the many scripts that make up the
web site.
5. Kill the session when the user clicks log off or closes the browser.

I have two possible environments I can use:

1. linux (suse 9.1), apache, cgi, oracle, perl 5.8.3, LDAP 3
2. solaris, apache, cgi, oracle, perl 5.005, LDAP 3

Can anyone recommend a toolkit that does this? I would really like this
to be _easy_, but if that's not possible, I guess it won't kill me to
do a little coding.

Thanks for any leads.

Waldo

Alan Mead

Star date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:24:17 -0800, spam1.minus1's log:
I have two possible environments I can use:

1. linux (suse 9.1), apache, cgi, oracle, perl 5.8.3, LDAP 3
2. solaris, apache, cgi, oracle, perl 5.005, LDAP 3

I would prefer Perl 5.6 or higher.

Also, I can reassure you that what you want to do is doable.

The rest of it, you should ask in a CGI newsgroup... returning here with
a specific Perl issue if you encounter one.

Maintaining state is a bit tricky with CGI. Browse the modules available
on CPAN, which can help but you're going to have to do some coding.

-Alan

Christopher Nehren

Alan Mead

Star date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:43:32 +0000, Christopher Nehren's log:

That's not a stardate. If you're going to try to make yourself into a
geek, you may as well use a Gregorian->stardate converter. :)

I don't think Pan will do that but now I'm curious :)
Apparently you missed the large thread about Solaris and Perl. It was
mentioned numerous times that the 5.005 version of Perl shipped with
Solaris is required for compatability with the Perl scripts that ship
with Solaris.

I'm glad you chimed in, I know nothing about Solaris.

Hmm. But I think I would still recommended 5.6+... The inescapable
conclusion then being "Don't use Solaris if you don't have to."

-Alan

Eric Schwartz

Alan Mead said:
Star date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:43:32 +0000, Christopher Nehren's log:

I'm glad you chimed in, I know nothing about Solaris.

Hmm. But I think I would still recommended 5.6+... The inescapable
conclusion then being "Don't use Solaris if you don't have to."

No, the conclusion is "If you're going to use Solaris, then compile
your own Perl, and put it in /opt or /usr/local". As much as my
employer might like me to endorse your statement, it simply doesn't
follow from the facts at all.

-=Eric

Alan Mead

Star date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:37:44 -0700, Eric Schwartz's log:
No, the conclusion is "If you're going to use Solaris, then compile your
own Perl, and put it in /opt or /usr/local". As much as my employer
might like me to endorse your statement, it simply doesn't follow from
the facts at all.

Eric,

Who is your employer and why do they favor Linux? As for the facts, I
think we've established that I know *nothing* about Solaris. I was just
closing the syllogism.

I don't think I would change my conclusion, though. It's nice to know
that you can make recent Perls work on Solaris... But while you're
rebuilding Perl, I'll be taking care of business on my Linux boxes. Maybe
if I needed to use some Sun software, I'd feel differently.

-Alan

Tintin

Christopher Nehren said:
Apparently you missed the large thread about Solaris and Perl. It was
mentioned numerous times that the 5.005 version of Perl shipped with
Solaris is required for compatability with the Perl scripts that ship
with Solaris.

So what's the problem.

Just install a later version of Perl in a different location. If you
install the package from sunfreeware.com, it goes into /usr/local, so it
won't effect the default Solaris Perl version.

Ben Morrow

Quoth Christopher Nehren said:

DON'T do that.
Apparently you missed the large thread about Solaris and Perl. It was
mentioned numerous times that the 5.005 version of Perl shipped with
Solaris is required for compatability with the Perl scripts that ship
with Solaris.

Apparently *you* missed the bit that said that /usr/bin/perl on said Sun
boxen is a symlink to /use/perl5/bin/perl or some such, and all the
system scripts that need that perl use the latter path directly, so you
can install a new perl anywhere sensible and even symlink it from
/usr/bin/perl and everything will work Just Fine (TM).

Ben