Session object value not displaying

.Net Sports

In an asp password script, i'm trying to grab the user's level of
access inside the database and display it on the next page after
successful login

'''login.asp has this:

session("levelAcc")=objRec.fields("levelAcc")

'''the landingpage.asp , the first page afte logging in successfully,
has this:
<%=response.write(session("levelAcc"))%>

....but I do not see the display of the access level on the
landingpage.asp page

???
NS

Evertjan.

..Net Sports wrote on 06 jul 2009 in
<%=response.write(session("levelAcc"))%>

...but I do not see the display of the access level on the
landingpage.asp page

Elementary, my dear Watson,

[stipulating that we are talking VBS]

It is either:

<% response.write(session("levelAcc")) %>

or better without the unnecessary ():

<% response.write session("levelAcc") %>

or:

<% = session("levelAcc") %>

.Net Sports

.Net Sports wrote on 06 jul 2009 in
<%=response.write(session("levelAcc"))%>
...but I do not see the display of the access level on the
landingpage.asp page

Elementary, my dear Watson,

[stipulating that we are talking VBS]

It is either:

<% response.write(session("levelAcc")) %>

or better without the unnecessary ():

<% response.write session("levelAcc") %>

or:

<% = session("levelAcc") %>

sherlock, it's not working. None of the 3 work. I've even assigned
session("levelAcc") a hardcoded value : session("levelAcc") = 1, and
tried session("levelAcc") ="test", and it doesnt display . :-(

Bob Barrows

..Net Sports said:
In an asp password script, i'm trying to grab the user's level of
access inside the database and display it on the next page after
successful login

'''login.asp has this:

session("levelAcc")=objRec.fields("levelAcc")

'''the landingpage.asp , the first page afte logging in successfully,
has this:
<%=response.write(session("levelAcc"))%>

...but I do not see the display of the access level on the
landingpage.asp page
"<%=" is shorthand for "<% Response.Write", so all that is needed is:
<%=session("levelAcc")%>

Evertjan.

..Net Sports wrote on 06 jul 2009 in
.Net Sports wrote on 06 jul 2009 in
<%=response.write(session("levelAcc"))%>
...but I do not see the display of the access level on the
landingpage.asp page

Elementary, my dear Watson,

[stipulating that we are talking VBS]

It is either:

<% response.write(session("levelAcc")) %>

or better without the unnecessary ():

<% response.write session("levelAcc") %>

or:

<% = session("levelAcc") %>

[please do not quote signatures on usenet]
sherlock, it's not working. None of the 3 work. I've even assigned
session("levelAcc") a hardcoded value : session("levelAcc") = 1, and
tried session("levelAcc") ="test", and it doesnt display . :-(

Oh yes, they work, you must make a mistake wat you are not telling.

Like your browser having the session cookies switched off or not using an
ASP enabled server.

.Net Sports

Oh yes, they work, you must make a mistake wat you are not telling.

Like your browser having the session cookies switched off or not using an
ASP enabled server.

sherlock, thanks for helping...no, the cookies and server is good, on
this page in question when i do this: <%= request.querystring
("level") %> from a querystring, it works. Just wondering what's
stopping this session object not to display :-(

Bob Barrows

Wait a minute. Be more explicit please. Are you saying you have tried this?
<%
session("levelAcc") ="test"
Response.Write session("levelAcc")
%.

Or are you talking about setting the session variable value on one page and
attempting to display it on another? If so, at least make sure the above
test page successfully displays the word "test" when run.
sherlock, thanks for helping...no, the cookies and server is good, on
this page in question when i do this: <%= request.querystring
("level") %> from a querystring, it works.

That proves nothing. The querystring does not rely on cookies - it is just
taken from the url. Check out these articles
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/why-won-t-my-session-variables-stick.html
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/why-do-my-session/application-variables-disappear.html

Make sure you have created an application for your website in IIS Manager

.Net Sports

Wait a minute. Be more explicit please. Are you saying you have tried this?
<%
session("levelAcc") ="test"
Response.Write session("levelAcc")
%.

Or are you talking about setting the session variable value on one page and
attempting to display it on another? If so, at least make sure the above
test page successfully displays the word "test" when run.

That proves nothing. The querystring does not rely on cookies - it is just
taken from the url. Check out these articleshttp://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/why-won-t-my-session-variables-s...http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/why-do-my-session/application-va...

Make sure  you have created an application for your website in IIS Manager

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

OK, I was establishing the session object after a redirect to the
landingpage, so it wasn't reading it...i made sure the directory live
was set as an application...now everything works, thanx!