Session Problems

Andyd

Hi everyone,

I have an ASP.NET 2005 application that uses COM interop to talk to a 3rd
party application server.

basically we submit a search to the app server via COM and wait for results
to be returned. This is working fine in my dev environment, however in teh
live environment, it seems that as soon as tehy log off (session abandoned)
our application and go back in, the com interop becomes flakey. Now it may
be flakey anyway on site, so my question is

what settings IIS/IE can affect COM interop components? Are there any
tools I can use to assist in the debugging?

Thanks
Andy

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

if your com object is STA (say a vb6 component) then it takes special
consideration to use it with asp.net. you must put asp.net into apartment
mode (with a performance cost) using the aspcompat property. also you
shoudl not count on the GC to free component references and should use the
Marshal.ReleaseComObject method, or you will proably have memory leaks on
the server.

There is no built in support for using a STA com object in a web service, so
you will need to create you own apartment thread to manage it.

generally none of the threading issues with STA com obejctes is seen on your
dev box, because you are not processing multiple requests.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)