session record in ASPStateTempSessions remains locked indefinitely

Guest

error:

System.Web.HttpException: Exception of type System.Web.HttpException was
thrown. ---> System.Web.HttpException: Unable to connect to SQL Server
session database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network
error. Check your network documentation.

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()

at System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateClientManager.DoGet(String id, SqlCommand
cmd)

at System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateClientManager.DoGet(String id, SqlCommand
cmd)

at System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateClientManager.GetExclusive(String id)

at
System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateClientManager.System.Web.SessionState.IStateClientManager.BeginGetExclusive(String id, AsyncCallback cb, Object state)

at System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.GetSessionStateItem()

at
System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.PollLockedSessionCallback(Object
state)

at System.Web.HttpAsyncResult.End()

at System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.EndAcquireState(IAsyncResult ar)

at System.Web.AsyncEventExecutionStep.OnAsyncEventCompletion(IAsyncResult ar)

symptom:

we occasionally experience a large number of persistent locks requests for
specific sessionid on the sql state server used by our web apps.

from our experimentation.

if a sessionid in the ASPStateTempSessions has it's field locked, set to 1
and not set back to 0, and another request is made for the same session the
locking behavior above occurs resulting in the error above.

we have not been able to replicate it well.
we typically experience it under heavy load.
any additional information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

-seth

Guest

Seth,

Were you able resolve the "Unable to connect to SQL Server session database"
error?

We are running on Windows 2003 web farm and I get this error as well as a

"OutOfMemoryException.. Unable to serialize the session state error after
the app is running for a couple hours."

Thanks, dave.