session variable - malfunction??

Al Jones

This is a repost form the vbscript newgroup - if this isn't the appropriate
group would you point me toward one that is.
Basically, I seem to be losing session data part way though preparing an
email from (possibly) three seperate forms.

the following code is the end of a routine which stashes data from the first
form
off to session variables and then redirects itself to the proper form /
procedure depending upon the state of two checkboxes. It work properly as
it stands.

Session("svPersoncbBoats") = Request.Form("cbBoats")
Session("svPersoncbFlood") = Request.Form("cbFlood")

if (Session("svPersoncbAuto") = "checkbox" ) then ' if cbAuto is schecked
this infact contains 'checkbox' ???
Response.Redirect("auto.asp") ' it appears
to since this works right
else
if (Session("svPersoncbHomeOwner") = "checkbox") then
Response.Redirect("HomeOwner.asp")
end if
Response.Redirect("PersonMail.asp")
end if

however, I get to the following code where I'm preparing the email to the
office:

Body = Body & "They have indicated interest in the following coverage:" &
vbcrlf
' the next two lines are displays so I can see what's really in the session
variables .... not!
Body = Body & "Session(svcbHomeOwner) [" & Session("svcbHomeOwner") & "]" &
vbcrlf
Body = Body & "Session(svcbAuto) [" & Session("svcbAuto") & "]" & vbcrlf

if Session("svcbHomeOwner") = "checkbox" then Body = Body & "
Homeowner coverage (see below)" & vbcrlf
if Session("svcbAuto") = "checkbox" then Body = Body & "
Automotive (see below)" & vbcrlf
if Session("svcbTenants") = "checkbox" then Body = Body & " Tenant
coverage" & vbcrlf

the out put from this looks like:
They have indicated interest in the following coverage:
Session(svcbHomeOwner) []
Session(svcbAuto) []

Notice nothing between the brackets which would seem to indicate they are
empty or non-literal - after I compared them to the literal 'checkbox'
above. How should I really be handling this?? What is the default value
returned by a checked / unchecked checkbox (using dreamweaver, btw) the
'value' clause says 'checkbox' and I've been operating under the assumption
that if the box is checked it will return that value, if unchecked it will
return a null <???>.

Final comment, the timing factor for a session variable <default of 20
minutes ??> should not be a factor as I filled out the two pages I chose in
less than 10 minutes by thee computer clock.

Comments / suggestions ..... please

(( AL ))

Al Jones

Been ther - I can't see anthing there that applies. If all the variables
before were to have gone away I'd understand, but it seems to be something
I'm doing with the checkboxes ....

Aaron said:
http://www.aspfaq.com/2157

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

Al Jones said:
[...]

dave

Where do you set those sessions? they arent shown in the code you supplied

Aaron said:
http://www.aspfaq.com/2157

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

Al Jones said:
[...]

"]"
&
[...]

This is a three part form -- requesting information for an insurance policy.
The first form is filled out and I 'stash' off the following variables as
session variables. Then depending on the selection we may go to one or both
of the other forms.
This part of the code works without a hitch.

Session("svPersonMarital") = Request.Form("selMarital")
Session("svPersonHomeOwner") = Request.Form("sleHomeOwner")
Session("svPersoncbAuto") = Request.Form("cbAuto") <<===== Auto
Policy Check Box
Session("svPersoncbTenanct") = Request.Form("cbTenants")
Session("svPersoncbHomeOwner") = Request.Form("cbHomeOwner") <<======
Homeowner Checkbox
Session("svPersoncbValuable") = Request.Form("cbValuable")
Session("svPersoncbUmbrella") = Request.Form("cbUmbrella")
Session("svPersoncbFineArts") = Request.Form("cbFineArts")
Session("svPersoncbBoats") = Request.Form("cbBoats")
Session("svPersoncbFlood") = Request.Form("cbFlood")

' If they;'re interestind in Auto Policy we have fill out this form first
and I stash the data off as above ..... then we may got to one of the other
form - or we mail go directly to the mailer

if (Session("svPersoncbAuto") = "checkbox" ) then
Response.Redirect("auto.asp")
else
if (Session("svPersoncbHomeOwner") = "checkbox") then
Response.Redirect("HomeOwner.asp")
end if
Response.Redirect("PersonMail.asp")
end if

However, and it doesn't matter whether they've filled out either of the
other two forms, when I get to this code, the variables seem to contain
nothing ..... as indicated by the two debug lines I've 'printed'.

Body = Body & "They have indicated interest in the following coverage:" &
vbcrlf
Body = Body & "Session(svcbHomeOwner) [" & Session("svcbHomeOwner") & "]" &
vbcrlf
Body = Body & "Session(svcbAuto) [" & Session("svcbAuto") & "]" & vbcrlf

if Session("svcbHomeOwner") = "checkbox" then Body = Body & "
Homeowner coverage (see below)" & vbcrlf
if Session("svcbAuto") = "checkbox" then Body = Body & "
Automotive (see below)" & vbcrlf
if Session("svcbTenants") = "checkbox" then Body = Body & " Tenant
coverage" & vbcrlf
if Session("svcbValuable") = "checkbox" then Body = Body & "
Valuables coverage" & vbcrlf
if Session("svcbUmbrella") = "checkbox" then Body = Body & "
Umbrella coverage" & vbcrlf

I'm at a loss. Timeout is not a function, I'm running it from my machine
which *does* have cookies enabled. Some of the data is there and some of it
appear to not be there, which indicates to me that I don't know what I'm
looking at / for..... suggestions???

Aaron said:
http://www.aspfaq.com/2157

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

/
[...]

Mark Schupp

You are looking for the value "checkbox" to indicate that an option is
checked. Is that what the checkbox is set to send>
Do this to see what your form is actually sending:

For each i in Request.form
Response.Write i & " = " & Request.Form(i) & "<BR>"
Next

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development

Al Jones said:
[...]

I took your idea and located a script that prints out the session variable
since the problem seems to lie there rather than with the form itself. It
works from another window open at the same time. Dreamweaver default
'value' for a checkbox is, in fact, the literal 'checkbox' (which I'll
change when I'm sure of what I'm doing). I ran your (revised) routine after
I finished the first page and saw a couple of (unrelated) typos so fixed
them. Ran all the way through the third form and as each form came up I
check to see what the session variables from the previous form were. After
I stash off the second page (it's values are what I expect), or while
processing the third page and stashing its values off something is happening
to some of my values (the variables are there but the contents have
changed????). With your tool in hand ((that just did *not* sound right))
I'm going to go looking closer at what I'm doing in that code.

Thanks all for your patience and I'll let you know what I find - and
definitely be back if I don't find ... //al

dave said:
[...]

Patrice

You could also start by print the SessionID. This way you'll make sure that
this is actually a session problem (if it changed). It this is the same it's
more likely that the expected values are not stored (because of a typo in
the name or some other logic error).

Patrice