Set Enabled or Visible on gridview cell contols?

Savvoulidis Iordanis

Can I set the Enabled or Visible properties of the controls (textboxes,
checkboxes) displayed by default in edit mode, depending on the value of some
other column? Or must I convert the column to a template column first? What I
mean is, I can correctly get the value of the default textbox in a gridview
cell when edited, using:

s = CType(grd_users.Rows(index).Cells(4).Controls(0), TextBox).Text

but I can't set that textbox to disabled or hidden using

CType(grd_users.Rows(index).Cells(4).Controls(0), TextBox).enabled=false or
CType(grd_users.Rows(index).Cells(4).Controls(0), TextBox).visible=false

although I have intellisence for them.
The message I get is:
"Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name:

Why?

Savvoulidis Iordanis

Also, how can I change the ReadOnly property of a field, when it's about to
enter the edit mode?

Eliyahu Goldin

You must've been looking in different places.

In the same place, if you don't get an exception because of index in
s = CType(grd_users.Rows(index).Cells(4).Controls(0), TextBox).Text

you can't get it in
CType(grd_users.Rows(index).Cells(4).Controls(0), TextBox).enabled=false

since index is used before you get to Enabled property.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

Savvoulidis Iordanis

What I need is a code excerpt. I couldn't manage to write it properly. I
can't event get correct object reference to have intellisence for .Readonly

Savvoulidis Iordanis

Boh the following statements are used in RowCommand event. The 2nd one gives
the exception