Setting up a SOAP client that is technically a server

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by OwlHoot, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. OwlHoot

    OwlHoot Guest

    I have a requirement for a process to distribute or "push" work, via
    SOAP,
    to a set of satellite processes.

    When it starts each satellite must register its presence via SOAP with
    the central process, and the latter must then connect as a client to
    the
    satellite with the latter technically acting as a SOAP server (to be
    able
    to wait for requests). Of course this means the central process must
    use a distinct URL (with a unique/ephemeral port number?) for each
    satellite process.

    (This "back-to-front" approach is required because SOAP apparently
    does not support client requests that will wait until data is
    available
    before returning from the SOAP call, and this polling will become
    processor and network intensive when there are large numbers
    of satellite processes.)

    All the processes are written in perl, and although I've used
    SOAP::Lite
    in standard apps, both client and server, my experience doesn't extend
    to the scenario described above and web searches for relevant code
    examples have been fruitless.

    If anyone can suggest a reference, preferably on the web, or sketch
    client and server code that should achieve what I am after, that will
    be much appreciated. One challenge is to decide on the URLs.

    (Note that the satellite processes do not have to return results
    via their "push" SOAP connections - For that purpose they can
    act as conventional SOAP clients with the central process as
    the SOAP server.)

    Cheers

    John R Ramsden
    OwlHoot, Aug 23, 2007